Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody. I placed my "waiting list deposit" this morning....

I nearly crashed a few weeks ago when I saw a pre-production FJ on the streets of Carson, CA . It is not all that uncommon to see pre-production vehicles in L.A. due to the close proximity to all the Automotive Design studios in the area.

Like all the pre-release vehicles, the FJ I saw was wrapped in that infamous black fabric to hide its identity, but there was a small gap near the roof line above the access doors and I could easily see part of a white capped roof and blue body panels. Any FJ fan would know exactly what it was!

Because of the black wrapping, all I could really judge was the outer dimensions of the FJ. What really impressed me was the aggressive stance. I would describe it as looking a lot tougher/bolder than I expected, not anemic like a new Xterra, those nice BFG's really helped.

Anyways, I have been on the lookout for it ever since and a few days later my boss saw it too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
About how big do you think it is? bigger than a Rav4? It looks really wide but I can't really tell from the pictures. Tell us more about the stance.

-Gene

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Gene,
Look up the Rav stats on yahoo autos and post them here.

Here are the FJ's

FJ Cruiser
Overall Length: 177.6
Overall Width: 74.6
Overall Height: 70.9
Wheelbase: 105.9
Ground Clearance: 9.6

Wrangler (for comparison)
Overall Length: 150.2
Overall Width: 68.3
Overall Height: 71.2
Wheelbase: 93.4
Ground Clearance: 10.0

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FJ size: My first hand experience of the FJ on the street:

It is bigger than a RAV 4, my boss (who has seen it 4 times now!) says it is the size of a Jeep Liberty. But its a little deceptive for a couple of reasons;
1. The spy wrapping is fairly bulky so it makes the FJ look bigger.
2. The chunky / funky styling adds perceived additional size. - Kind of like the new H3 looks much bigger than the Canyon / Colorado truck platform they are built on, but they area actually the same size.
The FJ is on a shortened 4Runner platform, imagine a new body 4Runner with some squared off bodywork (H2 style) on it and you will start to get an idea of how big the FJ really is.
What I can tell you is that if you were wanting a RAV4 size because it was "cute", you will be dissapointed by the FJ. This thing is surprisingly bigger and bolder than I expected. My first instinct was that I was seeing a new Chevy Tahoe, funny I know, but it has a big perceived scale on the street.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Nice info !... ;)

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Very nice Bandi! 7 1/2 years!!

·
Registered
2,595 Posts

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
You have served one of the longest sentences in this FJ-Psycho ward!

Here's to you bud :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
:lol: The FJ was canceled before it went into production.
Speaking of "Spied!!!!" Yose, That was funny when I was going to try to sneak into the Yosimite parking area and shoot a pic of your FJ for the "I saw you in NorCal" thread and you and your bro "Spied" me and 9-Ball as soon as I rounded the corner. That was and epic fail on my part :lol: Yet a win for seeing you there.

:cheers:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi Everybody. I placed my "waiting list deposit" this morning....

I nearly crashed a few weeks ago when I saw a pre-production FJ on the streets of Carson, CA . It is not all that uncommon to see pre-production vehicles in L.A. due to the close proximity to all the Automotive Design studios in the area.

Like all the pre-release vehicles, the FJ I saw was wrapped in that infamous black fabric to hide its identity, but there was a small gap near the roof line above the access doors and I could easily see part of a white capped roof and blue body panels. Any FJ fan would know exactly what it was!

Because of the black wrapping, all I could really judge was the outer dimensions of the FJ. What really impressed me was the aggressive stance. I would describe it as looking a lot tougher/bolder than I expected, not anemic like a new Xterra, those nice BFG's really helped.

Anyways, I have been on the lookout for it ever since and a few days later my boss saw it too!
Here's the answer how the FJ was developed. A company in Los Angeles, ICON4X4, was asked to develop 3 FJ prototypes . You probably saw one of them. The owner of ICON4X4 was on jaylensogarage.com and told the story. I copied this info from their web site.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts