Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked all my spark plugs today, the one closes to the driver, looks like this

Everyone assured me that my car is ok, but during start ups, I hear this metalic sound coming from the exhaust, for about 10-15 seconds, and the engine vibrates slightly, at all times...

I'm feeling a little depressed......

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I checked all my spark plugs today, the one closes to the driver, looks like this

Everyone assured me that my car is ok, but during start ups, I hear this metalic sound coming from the exhaust, for about 10-15 seconds, and the engine vibrates slightly, at all times...

I'm feeling a little depressed......
Looks like it's pretty oily and carboned up to me. The split or "V" in the centre electrode is normal for some makes of plugs. What is the gap set at? It looks like too much to me. What did the others look like compared to this one?? Possible cause, bad oil ring or valve guides. Is you PVC valve plugged? But this would show the same fouling on all plugs.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Looks like it's pretty oily and carboned up to me. The split or "V" in the centre electrode is normal for some makes of plugs. What is the gap set at? It looks like too much to me. What did the others look like compared to this one?? Possible cause, bad oil ring or valve guides. Is you PVC valve plugged? But this would show the same fouling on all plugs.

i have 12,900 miles on my odo, would pvc valve go bad after 12000 miles?

all plugs looked similar, white carbon deposit on all plugs, but only this plug had the V cut nose

Stock set up, stock plugs...

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
It could also be a fuel injector that is clogged or going bad (dumping too much fuel in that cylinder, and fouling the plug).

You might be hearing the injector 'clicking', thus the noise. I would run some Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner in a tankful of gas, and see if that cleans up the dirty injector. Hopefully it's just an injector that is dirty and not the injector going out. If that doesn't fix it then proceed troubleshooting from there.

Don't let it go for too long, because if you're fouling and too much unburned fuel gets into the catalytic converters you'll end up toasting them, and possibly along with some O2 sensors.

With only 13K on the engine, I'd suspect a clogged/dirty injector. Odd for so few miles, though. You might want to consider changing fuel brands.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
have 12,900 miles on my odo, would pvc valve go bad after 12000 miles?

It's possible. Not a lot of money to replace it. To check, pull it off the vacuum hose and give it a shake. If you can feel and hear the ball rattle its good. If not replace it. Also inspect inside the hose. If there is a lot of buildup of gunk replace PVC and check your cooling system.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
It that an NGK plug? They make a V-groove plug.

Your sure only 1 plug out of 6 had the v-groove?

Just curious, why were you pulling the plugs at 12K miles?

Do you drive allot of short trips?

The insulators should look an eggshell to light tan color if all is well and the plugs are the correct heat range.

What number is on that plug compared to the others?

DEWFPO

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just checked the one's that I pulled last week at 40K. They looked similar to yours except for the amount of oil. They wre NGK LFR6C-11 on the driver's side and had a similar v-groove. Passenger side had Denso K20HR-U11, no groove. Good luck. Mitch:cheers:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked the one's that I pulled last week at 40K. They looked similar to yours except for the amount of oil. They wre NGK LFR6C-11 on the driver's side and had a similar v-groove. Passenger side had Denso K20HR-U11, no groove. Good luck. Mitch:cheers:
my pictured disappeared, anyway, I guess that v groove is normal

Im not sure if thats oil or the grease from the threads on the spark plugs...I thought everyones looked like this

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It that an NGK plug? They make a V-groove plug.

Your sure only 1 plug out of 6 had the v-groove?

Just curious, why were you pulling the plugs at 12K miles?

Do you drive allot of short trips?

The insulators should look an eggshell to light tan color if all is well and the plugs are the correct heat range.

What number is on that plug compared to the others?

DEWFPO
I only drive short trips, my everyday car is a jetta tdi :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts