Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried installing an Spod in their fj to control and safely wire their extra gear and lights? If so how did it work? from the looks of it the Tacoma kit they have will bolt on no issues but not sure.

If you havent used an Spod how did you wire your all your add ons? has anyone done an extra fusebox? I know its a smart practice in overland vehicles to run a line from the battery into the cab and then have a 2nd fuse box in the cab for internal add on ( radios, ipad power ext) I want to make sure I do this part right so if anyone can give me advice on this id appetite it.

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
Aside from SPOD many are running this:

IMO it is easier to install and looks a lot cleaner. You also can run whatever switches you want.

Granted the SPOD is cooler.

Reactions: Lee44

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am running this and it has worked out great for me. Wireing wasn't bad. + and - both go to the box under the hood. Has replaceable fuses in it. So
Far only running 2 sep6set of lights off ot but I plan to add more items on it. Had it installed for 6mo now and zero issues.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,644 Posts
There are lots of options and lots of threads showing those either as part of build ups or stand alone threads.

really depends on what look you want, what you want to run and what space you have available and hour level of competence building circuits and looms.
I had 7 blanks in the centre console so fitted matching switches to run various aux items and made up my own circuitry. I also have a Switch Pros and then there are various non matching switches for items such as pattern select for strobe lights, Blue Sea switches Etc.
Personally I liked the Switch Pro panel over the SPOD as I have always loathed Carling switches.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Here is my sPod install. I still have blanks, but I also still have yet to build out my FJ. It keeps the wiring so clean! I recommend it, or any of the other competitors. Good luck...

·
Registered
323 Posts
I used a switch panel I found on amazon for cheap and ran 14awg from each switch to a blue sea bus bar. The wires come out from the switches to a distribution block so I can add or change what's hooked up to what just by pulling screws. Easy peasy and cheap for low amperage stuff. I've got my tranny fan, interior lights, cb, and dash cam all powered through the bus. Having the bus in the foot wheel might not look the prettiest, but wiring in new loads in the cabin is a breeze and I never had to lengthen wire. For the higher amp stuff I've ran relays in the engine bay. It's not as pretty having relays everywhere, but they're closer to their loads which means less heavy gauge wire and just longer trigger wires which is easy to hide, safer, and creates less voltage drop.

20190922_160641.jpg 20190922_165620.jpg 20190922_154627.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
does anyone have any concerns in the parasitic drain of the Spod? I read through their FAQ and it seems that the the Source 6 rocker version has a draw of 28mA-36mA.

I have a dual battery setup with yellow tops with a 130amp alternator. The Spod is connected to my second battery with all 6 ports being used (dash cam, radar detector, front piaa lights, rear piaa lights, USB phone chargers x4 and a Garmin). Everything is connected via 16 guage wire. With a long road trip coming up, I definitely plan on using everything but the piaa lights for an extended period of time. Was concerned about the draw and any fire hazards with the Spod.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
I have an SPOD Bantam. Setup was a piece of cake. Worst part was routing the ethernet cable through the firewall--once I finally found a way to use an existing grommet, pushing the the RJ-45 connector through was like giving birth. But once it's done, it's super clean. There is a little nub that you can cut off of the large driver side grommet on the firewall that makes for a perfect path. The system has a small parasitic draw, but also shuts itself off automatically after a few hours so it's very minimal. Not sure that's the same for the Source system or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts