Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Part of the deal when I bought my FJ was that the dealership had to add Rhino Liner to my doors. I wasn't sure how it would look with black on black, but I love the way it turned out! I was asked quite a while back to post pics, sorry I'm just now getting to it.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Not bad.... That is def the area where I have like 80% of my scratches.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I too have a BD, and want to do this as well. I think it looks great, and is functional. I know you had your dealership do it as part of the deal, but do you know about how much it cost you?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts

We did that to a buddy's rig. He had lots of trail damage. Now you can't tell. It's rustoleum "road warrior" roll on bed liner. Really good stuff

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you guys do the roll on stuff yourselfs?? Any chance you took some pics on the process?? I have the Black Cherry fj and am in the the whole black out process i thought this might look cool and save from buffing out all the desert pinstriping we get out here.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ok. It's called Rustoleum "road warrior" bed liner. Comes in a kit that includes: Bed liner, hardner, roller, brush, mixing bit (for drill), scuff pad, and a few more things... I forget.

First: tape off the line you want and tape off plastic bits you don't want painted.

Second: use the scuff pad on the area you are wanting to paint. Kiss your clear coat goodbye.
Third: mix the bed liner and the hardner together. Follow the instructions to the letter!
You only have a certain time window.
4. Get to it! Use the roller on the large area and the brush in the tighter spots (dabbing motion)

Two coats are recommended
5. Pull the tape off after second coat is done. Not a good idea to let it dry In there
6. Pull up a chair, grab a beer, and watch paint dry. Doesn't take long to dry. The finish is nice and textured

We will be doing his roof, and maybe his entire rig soon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I too have a BD, and want to do this as well. I think it looks great, and is functional. I know you had your dealership do it as part of the deal, but do you know about how much it cost you?
My dad is the GM at the dealership and said the truck shop he uses charged him about $350. The shop tends to help him out on prices for his personal requests, but I don't know if they did here since the bill went back to the dealership.

I want to get the bottom sprayed now as well. I'm on the beach alot and back in the dunes is where we tend to play in the mud. Sometimes we'll stay the night out there and having all that salt on the FJ has already started rusting out the bottom. Anyone have pics or seen the bottom sprayed before?

·
Registered
934 Posts
IF doing this Check out U-Pol Raptor. I just lined the inside of my daughter's TJ with this stuff. There are many right ups doing this. You get the liner and a gun for just over $100. If you were putting right next to lineX or Rhino Lining you could not tell which was which. It is very good stuff.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Does it work on plastic interior parts ? I was thinking of doing the rear cargo area.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Does it work on plastic interior parts ? I was thinking of doing the rear cargo area.
Yes U-Pol would work on plastic. My 328i had a stick shift that looked like crap and they are very pricey so I thought I would take it off and tape up the gear markings and I hit it with 3 coats of the u-pol and it has been fantastic for over a year now. Make sure that it is clean and it will stick to anything. Use rubber gloves and cover every piece of skin because it does not come off easy at all (ask me how I know). I am going to hit some areas under my FJ this summer like the frame rails and the rear diff and even the underside of the body. We did the grill on the TJ along with the plastic fender flares and they have held up fantastically.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Yes U-Pol would work on plastic. My 328i had a stick shift that looked like crap and they are very pricey so I thought I would take it off and tape up the gear markings and I hit it with 3 coats of the u-pol and it has been fantastic for over a year now. Make sure that it is clean and it will stick to anything. Use rubber gloves and cover every piece of skin because it does not come off easy at all (ask me how I know). I am going to hit some areas under my FJ this summer like the frame rails and the rear diff and even the underside of the body. We did the grill on the TJ along with the plastic fender flares and they have held up fantastically.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks a lot better with the plastic fender trim stuff gone too :cheers:

We did that to a buddy's rig. He had lots of trail damage. Now you can't tell. It's rustoleum "road warrior" roll on bed liner. Really good stuff

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
you guys ever use plasti dip on them for the trail and peel when your done...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts