Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for new springs and coils for my FJ and figured I would get some input for you guys and gals first. I have a stock FJ for the most part that has a few minor modifications. Looking for any and all help. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Re: Springs and coils

Step 1 in all of these threads is to ask: What are you looking to do with your FJ or gain from new suspension components? Are you looking to build a crawler, desert truck, overlander, street queen, bro-dozer, refresh your OE parts, etc.
Step 2 is budget. You can spend anywhere from hundreds to tens of thousands of dollars on suspension, so it's important for us to know what you're looking to spend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Springs and coils

I am looking to just refresh my OE parts for now. I do go off-roading pretty often so I am looking for a durable spring thats not to crazy on price.

·
Premium Member
2,586 Posts
wait, the springs ARE coils

Did you mean to say "springs and shocks"? :)

If the corners are still at stock looking height then your springs are fine. If you add a ton of aftermarket mass to the vehicle you'll need to buy harder springs to hold it up.
For dampers, Bilstein make the best until you get into remote reservoir territory. Your decision of which Bilsteins to buy depend on if you need to adjust ride height. 4600s are fine "OEM" ones, 5100s are the same inside but have the ability to adjust height of the spring rest.

Note the 5100s only come zinc coated so they'll look awful after a season or two of winter salt unless you cover them with something.

Norm

·
Premium Member
12,968 Posts
Deja vu

Reactions: FJFool

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Norm356 the problem I am having is my back end is sagging because of my springs being worn down by added weight from a bigger spare tire and the occasional towing I do. I bought my FJ 2 years ago and I'm not sure how old they truly are. I want to at least correct the sagging issue as much as I possibly can. I have already put new Bilstein shocks and definitely would want to stay in that same area for my springs as well.

·
Desert Moderator
7,299 Posts
rear springs are easy.
OME (ARB) do some decent springs and they're not badly priced.

·
Vendor
2,140 Posts
What size spare do you have ? i cannot imagine that it weighs more than at most 10-15 lbs over stock . ``

·
Desert Moderator
7,299 Posts
What size spare do you have ? i cannot imagine that it weighs more than at most 10-15 lbs over stock . ``
Who knows what else is in the back.
Bigger or new springs are a no brainer though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts