Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to use my winch last weekend and made a squealing noise when I was reeling it in at full speed. How can I fix this? Is there some way I can lube it without taking off the bumper? Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Had to use my winch last weekend and made a squealing noise when I was reeling it in at full speed. How can I fix this? Is there some way I can lube it without taking off the bumper? Any suggestions ?
I was told to take the winch apart once a year and re grease all the gears. Its going to be a major project to take the bumper off and disconnect the lights and remove the winch so I have been procrastinating. I can`t hardly see my winch up in the bumper so theres no way I can regrease without taking it all apart. I`m just going to have to do it someday...just not today.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Any way you can drill a hole in the winch and put in a grease fitting to squirt grease in.
Sounds water proof and convient to me.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Any way you can drill a hole in the winch and put in a grease fitting to squirt grease in.
Sounds water proof and convient to me.
I thought about this idea but the old grease doesn`t come out so your going to end up with to much grease in the winch that i`m sure will cause problems sooner or later.

·
Registered
297 Posts
What about some WD-40 for now? What type of grease should I use when I do hall it all apart?
WD-40 is not a good substitute for grease. WD = Water Displacement (40th formula attempt). Using WD-40 or silicone spray or any other spray type lubricant will be worse than leaving the old grease alone. The best fix is to take it off, dismantle the winch gearbox, clean the gears and re-grease them. I've used a high end water resistant bearing grease in the past on a gearbox with good results.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Froader for the helpfull info. Atleast someone has something helpful to say. leaving it at home is never an option, it was one - leave my 700 raptor in the middle of the feild till spring or two - burn it in the middle of the feild and report it stolen. I didnt like any of those options so winching the bike out was the only option. My next question is, does any body have a step by step or a how to clean and relube for a low profile winch? It's a Tabor 9000 if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
Thanks Froader for the helpfull info. Atleast someone has something helpful to say. And leaving it at home is never an option. My next question is, does any body have a step by step or a how to clean and relube for a low profile winch?
What winch do you have?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts