Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, not sure if i would put this in this section or the suspension section due to its more of something to do with the frame, so mods, feel free to move to the proper forum if i have it in the wrong spot thnx :)

i have the full budbuilt skidplates but for the past few months i've been having a horrid squeeking problem while driving. i looked under the vehicle earlier today after bouncing the corners and getting no squeeks there (thought it might be shocks on the front end), then i noticed something. at the tranfer case where the crossmember goes across to hold the tranny and such up, on each side there is a round tube coming off the frame rails to connect with the crossmember. i also noticed they are rubbing up against the side of the skidplates. does anyone know what these are for?

i assume they help reinforce the structural bracing maybe along the crossmember but its clear the skidplate is rubbing against them. Is it safe to remove these connecting tubes?

can see where this mystery tube to me connects up against the skidplate.

can see it coming off the frame, to connect to the crossmember.

i know its a bit dark, but you can see how it connects up to the crossmember

better pic of the tube sitting up against the skidplate (yes its dirty underneath atm, the alley i drive through has a ton of puddles in it the past few days. its actually worn the powder coating off on the skidplate where it contacts)

any ideas of what purpose those tubes serve? and is it safe for me to remove them? or should i see about putting a couple washers behind the skidplate (which i think we all know would be a royal pain) ?

anyone come across this problem with the budbuilt skidplates? i didn't install them as they were put on when i had no where to actually work on my truck at the time so i got a shop to do it, do the budbuilt instructions direct you to remove those two tubes? can't see why they would build it so there would be rubbing such as that.

i checked the budbuilt site and took a look at the pics they have up, but none of them show that crossmember area too well to see if they have those tubes removed or not.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Absolutly do not remove those bars, you seem to be missing the spacers that go right there between the skids and the cross member. you may also have them installed improperly. I was also missing the spacers originally and didn't know it and bud mailed them out to me straight away. on the last picture I see the holes that the bolts are supposed to go through that hold those round bars AND the skid on but on second glance you definitly seem to not have the spacers installed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Call bud...just installed mine this weekend and his customer service is above and beyond...

And call your install shop and chew them a new one...it is crystal clear in the directions...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thnx for the advice guys. got some spacers added in this past week. but unfortunatelyu, the squeeking has not gone away. when i stand on my rock rails and bounce up and down it will still squeek, which would hint at the front suspension components. i just hope it really isn't the the coilovers on the front end cause they have less then 5000 km on them. truck unfortunately sat over half the winter getting fixed from its accident.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts