Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I keep a 55 gallon water drum on a utility trailer I tow with the FJ when camping.

It's a pain to man handle the 300 pound beast around so I sort of just leave it on the trailer. I want to add something to the water to keep it fresh and algae/bacteria free but there seems to be quite a few different water additives that claim to do similar things: like 'Oxy-Stabile' and 'Aerobic 07'. Does anyone have a preference on water additives for long term storage? Particularly, paying attention to the cost and availability?

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
You have a lot of choices really as to which method. I use an ozone system in my drum, but it was horribly expensive and requires electricity. Prior to that, I used Aerobic Oxygen drops with good results - but it wasn't easy to find locally. For a basic solution, I'd say use unscented, dye-free clorox bleach.

Ideally, you should "rotate" your water supply at least once a year just to be safe, but with the stabilized oxygen, you could safely go up to 5 years with no ill effects. If you do store water for long periods of time, getting two barrels and pumping the contents of one to the other once a year will dramatically improve the overall flavor due to the inherent aeration.

Here are some basic guidelines for additives:

Chlorine Bleach: 8 drops per gallon (8 teaspoons for a 55gal drum - double that for cloudy water)
Stabilized Oxygen: 10 drops per gallon (10 teaspoons for a 55gal drum - double that to purify)

A quick hint for you too - to initially fill your water barrels, rinse them out thoroughly with the above-mentioned bleach, then take them to a local bottled water supplier and ask them to fill them from their system. Most of them will do so for a very small fee. This guarantees your water is fresh, purified, and often even stabilized... not to mention, they can fill it real quick.

Hope that helps.

Howls,
FJ Wolf

·
Registered
447 Posts
For a basic solution, I'd say use unscented, dye-free clorox bleach.
Step zero, wash drum (inside and out) with hot, soapy water and rinse thoroughly <- almost forgot that one!
Step one, clean the drum with hot water and a base, such as bicarb of soda.
Step two, steam clean the drum.
Step three, do the same to the fill end of whatever you are using to fill the drum.
Step four, fill the drum
Step five, add unscented beach at a rate of 1ml per L, or 4ml per G or 1 tsp per G
Step six, close and leave sit for ~1 day
Step seven, aerate vigourously (with sterile equipment) for 8 hours
Step eight, heat drum (and contents) to ~70° C, close lid (this will ensure a semi-vacuum seal)

At a guess, I would not go any more than 6 months with the above system. You can get semi-automated systems that might let it go for longer, but I would not trust them. Don't use additives.

- Solo

·
Registered
599 Posts
Hmmm... interesting. You would still be best to rotate your supply on occasion.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank for the tips guys.

Solo: That system sounds like you need a removable lid. I just have a bung and a vent. It doesn't seem feasible to get that process done through a 3 inch hole.

FJR Colorado: That might be true, but this is a 5x8 open side trailer with railings. It's easier and safer to tie down one big barrel than stack and strap numerous ones. The 8 gallons might be useful in the FJ alone though, I'll take a look at them.

FJ Wolf: I knew about the aerobic oxygen but I had never thought about using bleach. That might be the cheapest way to go. It's really not even necessary that the water be something I want to drink after storage I guess. I just didn't want to have to drain the barrel every trip and I sure as heck didn't want to get to the barrel next season and have to clean out a bunch of green sludge. Also know of a water store that I go to that gives me a good deal on stuff in 5 gallon jugs they run through multiple filters and uv cleaning cycles. I ask them about adding bleach, the stuff they sell is so clean that it turns green after a month or so after being exposed to air once.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, I think I have a better handle on the situation now.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The Aquatainers are square and can easily stack on top of each other. They have an integrated spigot. Virtually spill-proof and leak-proof. Tough as nails. Simple, inexpensive and highly useful.

The "modular" nature of this approach makes rotating water a breeze.

I've been using this method for years for my remote cabin.

As an added plus, these are great to keep a couple full in your basement all year long. It gives you an emergency water supply.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
As another option, check out RV/camper supply store. Bunch of H2O holding tanks,transfer systems,purification possibilities.

BirdMan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts