Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got off work a little early on Chrismas eve, so a few of us went wheeling close to town. My big truck was down with a engine overhaul so I took the FJ. Found a little spot that was muddy on the neck of a lake and went through it, and locked the engine up with 70k miles. I am a tech, and change the oil every 3k with synthetic motorcraft oil. Took the engine out this weekend and dropped the oil pan and found the last two cylinders had spun rod bearings with no other problems. Anybody had this problem, and how do I not repeat it, these motors are high!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we were sitting around the shop marveling at how large the rod caps were. They looked like big block chevy stuff! Hope to make it to Texas by Friday.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
I have limited knowledge here but .... I guess it's possible you got just enough water into the intake to create steam at a high enough pressure in the cylinder to push down extremely hard on the pistons (perhaps at the same time they were coming up to TDC) so that they pushed the oil out from between the piston/bearing/rod enough to cause the rod to grab the bearing and spin them. Sounds a bit crazy, but it's plausible and it wouldn't leave any other traces of damage.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny enough, my girlfriend got me a snorkle for Chrismas! A little too late, but it will see action soon enough. I found a small opening at the inner fender well that could have been the culprit, because directly above it was the air intake. May be worth a glance for anyone that ever gets in a little water

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dont know Toyotas firing order, if it were a Ford, it would be 3&6. Chevy would be 5&6. Oil was clean but a little water goes a long ways

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Man I wouldn't imagine a LITTLE water would cause damage to the bearings. Sucks it happened after 60k.
I once ran a chevy s10 about 600 miles on a blown head gasket. The oil was really milky to the point it looked like coffee with creamer (brown) I just kept the engine temp down and replaced the head gasket (resurfaced head) when I got home with no other damage! Totally amazed that nothing else was damaged
How is the oil pick up? Do you think it could have went dry for a second?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It had slivers of bearing material on the screen
I guess it was just its time. Got a engine ready to put in tonight after work.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
got the new powerplant in, going to work out any bugs, wheel it and head to the toyota jamboree fri morning

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was only in about a foot of water, normal temp. A used engine was the fastest way of getting it back on the road. My lifted tahoe with 38" boggers and a 383 stroker is back in service again, so with a snorkle on the FJ and that truck up. hope Im done with motors for a while!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts