Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
My latest dealer quote "All warranty void due to excessive weight, oversize tires, and aftermarket suspension" WTF Toyota. I guess I can quote 'Oh what a feeling"

I think you may want to read up on (please forgive the spelling) Magnuson Furgeson act of like 1976??? It's all about how a dealer can't void the entire warranty because of non dealer options. Now if you have a vehicle and your jumping it and the inner fenders are cracked then I wouldn't expect them to cover you. But they can't void like your powertrain warranty because you have addons.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
And of course I didn't read every darn reply. So someone also posted info about the Magnuson-moss act. Oh well....good luck anyway.

I know a guy that sat in front of his dealership with a sign draped over his car "See me before you buy here" lol He was an old retired codger with plenty of time on his hands but in the end they fixed the issue at their expense.

·
Premium Member
45 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Brian,

You are just going to have to buckle down, take all of your evidence to a lawyer (as much as I can't stand lawyers) and have the lawyer send them a letter.

Everything is on your side. You have documented proof that the rips existed before you added any after market modifications. You have the Washington lemon law and probably most important the Magnuson-Moss Act that among other things they (Toyota/the Dealer) have to prove the after market parts caused the damage.

There is also some good Magnuson-Moss info here Magnuson-Moss Act including a complaint form.

I just had GMC take back a 2008 Acadia.(freeing up some cash that i used to buy my fj) I used the lawyers at 1-800-lemonlaw. They did not charge me a cent, they get their fees from the manufacturer. I tried to go at it on my own in the beginning, sending letters to gm as per the new jersey lemon law. This resulted in nothing until the lawyers got involved. I contacted them and 3 months later $$$$. They went after the Magnusson Moss laws not the state lemon laws. I found this strange since NJ has the 2nd best lemon laws protecting consumers. Regardless they got results. I am not a shill for them but I highly reccomend them.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I recently had the opportunity to contact a person in regional sales for Toyota with a question about installing a sunroof in terms of the warranty. He explained that if Toyota thought having a sunroof on an FJ were ok, they'd offer it but he went on to explain that since the roof lacks a center beam, it mightnot be a structurally sound idea. I asked if it might impact the warranty on the vehicle and his response was :

"As far as warranty is concerned the only thing that would be affected would be something that was directly related to the installation of or the sunroof in general. "

I can't speak for every dealership or Toyota rep but in this case, it seems clear that an issue with an aftermarket item should not affect the warranty on the rest of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I recently had the opportunity to contact a person in regional sales for Toyota with a question about installing a sunroof in terms of the warranty. He explained that if Toyota thought having a sunroof on an FJ were ok, they'd offer it but he went on to explain that since the roof lacks a center beam, it mightnot be a structurally sound idea. I asked if it might impact the warranty on the vehicle and his response was :

"As far as warranty is concerned the only thing that would be affected would be something that was directly related to the installation of or the sunroof in general. "

I can't speak for every dealership or Toyota rep but in this case, it seems clear that an issue with an aftermarket item should not affect the warranty on the rest of the vehicle.
Doesn't make any sense to me, is the rep saying that the FJ roof is weak because it doesn't have a center beam? I'd tell him to sell cars we will handle the mods :lol:

·
Registered
477 Posts
OP: "...I love my rig (Caused a divorce in the beginning) and I am so devoted to it."
I have read of others who have chosen isolation, separation and/or divorce from their spouse. They claim the breakup of their family was caused by their vehicle(car, suv,bike), the time devoted to it and/or their family's failure to understand the importance of the vehicle(and the surrounding forums, mods, etc.).

Manufacturers might take note of this devotion when considering warranty claims and seek to encourage it rather than crush it as a way of helping their bottom line.

My wife and I have been together for over 20 years and I thought I was a 'car nut', but I haven't come close to such focus, such dedication.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great information here. I am currently going through the engine bay rip not going to cover guano from my dealer, only my 18 month old rig has 54k miles on it so it would only cover under 36k. BS, latent defect! We will see what happens as the saga continues.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I got a question. I have an 07 and bought the 100K extented platinum warr. I dont have any buldges or rips yet. cross my fingers. But i was thinking of turning my warranty in to get the money back cause im going to lift it 3" soon and put 285's on it. Should i turn my warranty in? I can get about $1200 back from paying $1750.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I got a question. I have an 07 and bought the 100K extented platinum warr. I dont have any buldges or rips yet. cross my fingers. But i was thinking of turning my warranty in to get the money back cause im going to lift it 3" soon and put 285's on it. Should i turn my warranty in? I can get about $1200 back from paying $1750.
As a few have said, in a lot of cases, it is up to the dealers what will be covered under warranty. The dealer I use has told me three times that he would not void my warranty if the lift is installed correct. He also told me my warranty would be gone if I go over a 3" lift.
If I were you, I would go talk to your service people first, and see what thay will cover after mods.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
As a few have said, in a lot of cases, it is up to the dealers what will be covered under warranty. The dealer I use has told me three times that he would not void my warranty if the lift is installed correct. He also told me my warranty would be gone if I go over a 3" lift.
If I were you, I would go talk to your service people first, and see what thay will cover after mods.
My buddy went with a 2.5 inch lift and some 33"s after the dealer told him twice that they would cover the vehicle when the alternator went out they told him they would not cover it. Just keep in mind there salesmen.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts