Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 FJ Cruiser in my driveway right now that I'm test driving. Im seriously considering buying soon - and I have a lot of questions!

Are there were any major reasons to choose standard over automatic transmission?? Anything specific to off roading?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The only real difference is the full time 4 wheel drive, both auto and manual transfer cases 'lock' when you put them in 4hi or 4lo. Aside from the transfer case and transmission they're identical parts otherwise.

The rear diff locker is standard on manual fj's, while it's an option on the auto's (you can get an auto 4x4 without the locker if that's you're thing).

Some people have told me the torque convertor on the auto will let you slip between gears or something and improve crawling capability, but I've yet to see a auto FJ go anywhere a manual couldn't, and vice versa.

I've seen the manual FJ's get a little better gas mileage when out on the trail, but I don't think it was a big enough difference to really worry about it. The auto probably gets about the same difference better mileage when on the road because it's 2wd.

I think it's a toss up personally, just get what you like best.

·
Premium Member
6,589 Posts
Auto, for all the reasons above, plus, on the days after you smash a leg or have it in cast, it is a lot easier to drive.

I speak from experience from when I owned a VW Bug, and was forced to teach my GF how to drive a stick since she didn't own a car yet. Ugghhh!

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
Auto, for all the reasons above, plus, on the days after you smash a leg or have it in cast, it is a lot easier to drive.

I speak from experience from when I owned a VW Bug, and was forced to teach my GF how to drive a stick since she didn't own a car yet. Ugghhh!
I was just getting there. My left leg is locked out at 10 degrees for a few weeks until my new acl can support me. Even if I could get up into my jeep, I couldn't push the clutch. I'll probably drive my Fj for the first time tomorrow. If I was a manual I couldn't.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's been pretty much covered. The main difference is full time 4 wheel drive with the manual. It has a torsen differential in the transfer case allowing full time. Your gas mileage one road will be substatially worse with a manual. Off road it's the opposite. The auto is what they call "intelligent" and it tries to keep the revs higher in the powerband for better responce. The manual can be kept in as high a gear as possible to keep the revs low and gas mileage will substantially better than the auto. I wouldn't worry about starting on a hill. Just use the clutch cancel switch and get going with the ignition if you can't do it using the handbrake. The switch allows you to crank the engine in gear without pressing the clutch. Your engine will fire up when the truck lurches forward.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would go with the auto because it soots my kind of offroading just choose what soots you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Something to consider also. If you think you may ever want to tow your fjc behind your motor home as a dingy. You can with the automatic, and Remco rear driveshaft disconnect. But the manual transmission fjc crusier cannot be flat - according to Remco.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Manual got my vote. Its a great little 6 speed gearbox. TRD Quickshifter takes the slop out of it and it's really a lot of fun to bang around. Always being in 4wd is a comforting thought when you cant see the ice...
:)

If you're keeping it for the long haul, cost of replacing them is as follows:
6MT: $2110.52
Auto: $2914.03

thats retail btw.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I just bought the auto. It is the first personal auto I have owned since the 1970s ( I bought my wife and kids autos). MPG on the road where I'll be 95% of the time is better w/ the auto and swayed me. Resale, if you ever do maybe be a factor too.
That being said, I have never regretted having a stick in the past, go for what will bring you the most pleasure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All great points. Thanks for the help. I am going to go with Automatic. The incline start & stop is a good point, as is the gas mileage differences.
The leg smashing point is what swayed me. I do a lot of MMA, so injuries maybe frequent. haha.

Thanks for the help. Auto is going on my list. More questions to come...

·
Full -N- Down
641 Posts
Manual because driving an automatic is freaking BORING!

Nothing like a six speed manual gearbox to keep things interesting for me on the winding highways of Alaska.

Of course if you regularly spend hours in stop and go traffic or on freeways with no significant curves, just get the auto and be done with it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Manual because driving an automatic is freaking BORING!

Nothing like a six speed manual gearbox to keep things interesting for me on the winding highways of Alaska.
:rocker: Totally agree! I've always preferred a manual over an auto. I can list dozens of reasons why an auto is better...but I'll still pick a manual every time! For me, it all comes down to preference. Either way, with an FJ you are getting a truck that is fun to drive!

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have to agree with acruxksa and toomanytoyotas.
I spent the last couple months shopping and trying to find the FJ I wanted.
I drove the auto for around 6 hrs over a few different test drive and then I drove the manual and within 15 minutes I was in love with it.
It is a completely different vehicle with the manual transmission. It is really fun to drive.
But as many have said, it all comes down to personal preference.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts