Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First off, if you clicked this thread after reading the title. I'm concerned.:browsmiley:

For father's day my wonderful wife got me brand new basic recovery tools (Shovel, Axe, Hi-lift). So as a gift to myself I decided to get them out of the cargo area.
I started looking for existing solutions, and none of them clicked with me. (most cost more than the tools themselves, or too bulky or whatever)

Much thanks to those on here that answered some questions about the ebay ballast mounts (even though I chose another route).

My local hardware store, must have SOMETHING I can shape into a tool holder. I walked around the store back and forth scratching my crack for about 2 hours, picking up, putting back, walk around, repeat.

Here is what I came up with, and I don't mind tooting my own horn by saying that it turned out better than I thought it would.

I give you the Stanley Rack Enhancer:

Top View from the back:
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Auto part Wheel

Close-up:
Gun Musical instrument Rifle

View from roof looking back:
Gun Bumper Rifle Automotive exterior Auto part

Close-up:
Tire Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Text Line Blue Diagram Font

The meat 'n' potatoes of the set-up are galvanized steel pieces used for chain-link fencing. With misc carriage bolts (6 total, 3 different sizes), nuts, and lock washers as needed. I powdercoated the main hardware at work, and plan to paint the bolts black as well. Rustoleum is just as black as powder.

I had to force the steel open a little to get it around the roof rack, and the hole for the connecting carriage bolt through the longer straight pieces was really tight.

I think my favorite feature is the compactness of it.

It took a total of 30 min to put together by myself. And I am borderline remedial when it comes to mechanical stuff.:ack:

It ran 3 days of trails in Ouray, and 2 trips since then and has not slipped a mm (I measured, worried the heavy high-lift might torque downwards into the fragile steel roof below)

My only complaint: high-lift rust drip. It's a problem a lot of us have, but not many are comfortable talking about. There I've said it and I feel like a weight has been lifted. I urge those of you with the same problem to join our support group. We won't judge you.:worried:

Fourtreks cost for EACH tool: $100+
ARB Mount: $79.00
Ebay mounts: $10.00 Each (x6) $60.00
Your mount: $________

Final price for the Stanley Rack enhancer: under $25.00
Get yours today. And enhance your rack. The guys will notice you as you drive by.
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Edit: Stanley is the name of my truck if anyone is confused

·
Registered
934 Posts
Brett thanks for the closeup and tech drawing. Guys/gals I have seen this first hand and it is a great setup. It is very solid and clean.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You mean this.... isn't.... the.... shemale thread? :cowfrown:

OK, this looks like what I was looking for, as I feel the same way about paying more for a mount than the tools itself. So... what hardware store and what parts (size of bolts, etc.)?

Looks great!

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I actually bought it at Smith and Edwards. It is by far the coolest Army/Navy Surplus, Western wear, Outdoor sports, Junkfood, junkyard, Hardware, Toy... store I've ever been to. Only one about 15 min north of Ogden, UT.

Don't fear though, I just talked to SKIBUMM (See previous post). He was checkin it out at the summit) And after seeing the pics he was able to pick up parts at his local home depot. Ideally I would look for a store that specialized in chain link fencing. maybe a stock building supply? Tomorrow I will try to go out and remove the tools and snap a couple more pics.

edit: I'll measure the bolts too and try to come up with a solid parts list.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
You mean this.... isn't.... the.... shemale thread? :cowfrown:

OK, this looks like what I was looking for, as I feel the same way about paying more for a mount than the tools itself. So... what hardware store and what parts (size of bolts, etc.)?

Looks great!
you have now set the record for the longest wait from signup to first post. congratulations are in order!!!:cheers:

pay no mind that it comes in a shemale oriented thread:bigthumb:

·
Registered
8 Posts
you have now set the record for the longest wait from signup to first post. congratulations are in order!!!:cheers:

pay no mind that it comes in a shemale oriented thread:bigthumb:
YES!!!! I r0XoR!

Actually, I've never done anything worth comment and most times I get on a thread it's already degraded to the "this sucks," "no, YOU SUCK!!!" level. :lol:

I'm prepping my FJ for a trip up to Alaska and have been hitting the forums for ideas rather heavily lately. I will be posting a write-up of my prep once it's done and thanking everyone for their inspiration.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Nice, looks like a pretty cool mounting system!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
Just posted in another thread. Ironically, my factory rack broke last week in the book cliffs just south of Ouray (McCook ridge area)...going to write Toyota and complain, the warranty just expired. I had TWO gas cans on the roof rack and one of those plastic brackets snapped.

I may have to try Smith and Edwards ("Just off I-15 at the Willard Bay turnoff"); as I mentioned I could not find the right parts at: Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace, Sutherland's or Mountain States Fence.

I assume you're using 1 5/8" fence fittings on this. It's a clever solution, and you made such a careful diagram, but did not include a parts list....

·
Registered
394 Posts
Nice setup...I always like the home engineering solutions. I have an old Hi-Lift jack from a different truck...but where do you folks hook that thing onto an FJ? I can't find a spot that isn't plastic.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Would love to see a few pics of them with out the tools.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Your setup looks great. I like it a lot!:bigthumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts