Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think of a "wiki" for FJs? I like how the format is clear and members can continually add to it. All we would really need is to have a link to it. There is already a wealth of info here, but the problem is the search function is so poor. Wiki has a lot of cross linking and the info can be continually updated.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We can either link it here or put forth an effort to populate it there. Take a look at the Porsche Wiki. I like the ability to keep relevant info in one place and cross linking.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
FJWiki.com takes you to TLCWiki.com (presumably a Land Cruiser Wiki). There is no content on that Wiki yet. Maybe we could use that? I think instead of using wikipedia, would we want to do a stand alone wiki? Maybe there are other Land Cruiser Wiki's that we could use too.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm interested in helping out. We can port some contents over and add links to original post. Is there a benefit of NOT using wikipedia? I don't know the nuances of the different wikis, I just really like the flexibility, layout, and that you can add content quickly.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What about just maintaining the already populated Wikipedia page?
Toyota FJ Cruiser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I've tried to create an account earlier today, but it said something about limited access. It appeared to me as if I'm limited to what I can contribute. I'll try again when I get home and see if that registration message changes. That page is woeful in terms of amount of info.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
A wiki can be added to this forum software, and it plugs in with the members names.

We added one to the forum I run, but wikis are a lot of work, and I do not have time to do lots of work on it.

Main Page - Welcome To YotaTech's Wiki

I actually find it easier to just post threads in the forum format.
Wikis are great, but they do require high maintenance.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Yeah, they could add a wiki here. I'd really like an FJC Wiki to be more 'open', with no ads - just great information. I would not like to see everything from tech forums just copied & pasted into a wiki. We would need at least 5 people that were VERY interested in moderating a wiki for it to work right.

We could use the FJ Cruiser entry(ies) on wikipedia, but I'm not sure how technical we could get on that wiki. Like I said, I could have the software setup today if there were enough people to sign up as mods ;)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The whole reason of wanting a wiki style format is because the current search function works terribly. With a wiki, the info will be easier to access and displayed. If the wiki isn't tied to the forum, do we have rights to pull info from the threads? There are some great posts! I'd like to see it happen and willing to do some grunt work. I'm not qualified as a technical person, but I'll help with whatever I can.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I would say that the admins & mods on this forum would frown upon 'pulling' info from these threads. The thread starters could contribute their content to the wiki with no problems.

Another issue we may run into is 'opinion' vs 'fact'. Many of the threads on here show a pretty heated discussion, that's where heavy moderation on an open wiki would come in.

I'm still in favor of the idea though ;)

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are we the only 3 or 4 people interested in this? Maybe people are fine with the current search function? I've brought up a solution when there's no problem?

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Maybe others on the forum don't see a problem. I guess my thought was a full-on wiki could become more of a resource for all FJ owners, not just the ones on this forum. It would include factual information about everything FJ related (even non-off-roading stuff).

Still, we would need about 5 mods at a minimum to make it work.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe others on the forum don't see a problem. I guess my thought was a full-on wiki could become more of a resource for all FJ owners, not just the ones on this forum. It would include factual information about everything FJ related (even non-off-roading stuff).

Still, we would need about 5 mods at a minimum to make it work.
I'm in full agreement with you.

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great name Mark. I'm thinking you need to donate some brain cells to this project. :D

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
LOVE that name ;)
Ok, so we have:
Fjamming
MrBigAxe(Maybe?)
shane4x4
mir207

That's probably enough to get started, but we'll need a couple more to help populate & mod it. Additionally, I'm not sure what the admins on this forum think about it - but it's a good idea I think.

I've registered the domain (www.fjpedia.com), and am installing wikimedia right now. Will anyone volunteer to coordinate our effort with the admins on this site?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOVE that name ;)
Ok, so we have:
Fjamming
MrBigAxe(Maybe?)
shane4x4
mir207

That's probably enough to get started, but we'll need a couple more to help populate & mod it. Additionally, I'm not sure what the admins on this forum think about it - but it's a good idea I think.

I've registered the domain (www.fjpedia.com), and am installing wikimedia right now. Will anyone volunteer to coordinate our effort with the admins on this site?
I'm sure they've already looked at this, but I'll "report" the post and officially let them know. Don't think there will be issues as we give credit where credit is due, but you never know. I don't know much about "copyleft" stuff.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts