Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having this small utility trailer, a Carry on 3.-5, that I got from Lowes years back. I decided I wanted to make an offroad trailer out of it, since I really don't use it for much. I have a bigger utility trailer for hauling junk around. I also had a set of factory stock Jeep JK Sport wheels from my old Jeep. They are the 16 inch steel wheels. I got a set of wheel adapters to fit them to the trailer, then after a little bit of research realized I would need more space to get these wheels to fit. I ordered a couple of sets of 1.5" spacers. I got 2 sets because I was also going to put these wheels on my bigger trailer and got them just in case. Today I cut of the small fenders, that covered the 12 inch wheels. You can see what size they were it the first pic. I finished cutting and grinding them off, then hit it with a bit if chassis paint to keep it from rusting. I had already done an axle flip a couple of years back. I put the wheel adapters on then tried the wheel no go. Then I put on the first spacer and it fit, but it was a bit to close for comfort. Since I had the other set of spacers, I went ahead and put them on, then the wheels and it fit great. Got the other side done, then tightened wheel lugs. I have a bigger set of fenders(you can see them lying in the trailer. My buddy and I are going to get them mounted up sooner or later. This is by no means going to be a fast build, more like keeping myself busy, every now and then. Will also swap out those tires later for something more fitting.

Pic 1 - wheel adapter on trailer
Pic 2 - Wheel with just adapter, no go
Pic 3 - Added 2 spacers
Pic 5 - Front shot and new fenders visible in trailer, along with a bunch of other junk
Pic 6 - Side Shot

Attachments

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,329 Posts
be careful with the spacers.. I did a 5 to 6 lug adapters. all 5 of the primary lug nuts backed out on the driver's side all at the same time and the wheel fell off. I recommend 1, red locktite and using an impact gun or custom rear axle... I did the rear axle

Attachments

·
Registered
445 Posts
I second the LocTite for a trailer - you won't be messing with the wheels except to grease the bearings every couple of years or change tires. Just DO NOT overdo the LocTite - took me a 4' cheater pipe to bust my spacers loose when I did overdid it...LOL

Couple more things - if you do not put fenders on it, narrow trailers will throw rocks at your back door. I busted my back window pulling a jetski trailer without fenders. You can buy metal fenders at most trailer dealerships or online. If it were me, I would be looking for some plastic ones - they flex and don't bend.

You might want to be sure the front of the trailer is solid rather than the expanded metal, even if you use marine plywood. Road grime gets into everything when you tow when raining or on beaches or through mud. I redid my trailer with marine plywood behind the expanded metal - because everything I packed in it got grimed up on trips, and I wound up constantly cleaning the gear and containers I packed in it.

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used a good bit of red loctite on them and made sure they are torque with the help of a long crow bar locking the hub from moving while I torqued them down. I will be running fenders. I have a set of Jeep style fenders. You can see them in the trailer in the last 2 pictures. I also plan on covering the outside of the trailer with either diamond plate or something similar.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts