1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone.

New here!
Been an FJ owner since 2015.
Read tons of threads on this forum since that, but haven't ever posted. Going to finally contribute what I can since I'll be doing some modifications.

Orderd a Smittybilt M1 front bumper
Ordered a Winch
Ordered bilstien 5100 to compensate the weight of the bumper and winch. Plus I'll be able to level out the fj with them. Finally!

I'll post pics of install and finished product when everything arrives in a few days.✌

How she currently sits.
Besides a light bar, pretty much stock.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome.

Good start to the build.
How much do you think the weight of the bumper and winch (close to 200lb) will drop the front? I'm just wondering what level to set the struts at without having to mess with lifting the rear.

If they adjust all the way to a 2.75~ lift, maybe the winch and bumper will drop that to around 2". The front will be about .5" higher than rear. (Hypothetically).

I'm torn between setting it at highest level, or the one right below ...
Any input?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,268 Posts
At a guess, based on my old Land Cruiser fitted with a heavy winch and heavy bumper it dropped about 2”. My FJ has an aluminium bumper weighing about the same as OE and a winch and barely dropped at all. I would think you’ll be around 2” drop but someone here will chime in with a similar set up

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Good luck with the build! It should be fun!

PW's or IR for the strobe?

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Are you going with steel line or synthetic line for winch? That is some extra weight that you will have to factor in to adjust your suspension setting. That being said, it's great that you're starting to mod! :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you going with steel line or synthetic line for winch? That is some extra weight that you will have to factor in to adjust your suspension setting. That being said, it's great that you're starting to mod! :)
Synthetic line.
My son is almost 2, I love taking him out with me as much as possible, couldn't imagine a steel line snapping with him around. Went with synthetic for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
16,453 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a better picture I took today after welding the steps back on. They got ripped off during a naches trails run 🤣

Looking around for a good deal for real sliders...seen some cool DIY sliders on this forum. If I cant find some in my budget, I'll try fabricating some.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Got everything connected, lights work, winch works, bumper lined up evenly.
I gotta say, it was a pain, but the end result is pleasing.
I'll take some more photos today in daylight so you all get a better idea of what it looks like.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After installing 5100s at highest setting, I’m having this clunking sound coming from each strut when I hit bumps or anything. I checked the top hats and noticed that there’s about a half inch gap where the bushing is, even though I tightened the bolt all the way.
Ordered thicker bushings, hope that will do the trick. Maybe I just need new springs as well? Any ideas?
Thank you🙏

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
No, thicker bushings will not do the trick. There is something installed incorrectly. My guess is you are missing the front shock absorber cushion retainer that goes under the top hat. Have a look at this thread (and take another look at the installation instructions):

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
just checked my old stock struts... looks like I forgot the inner bushing...

Going to have to redo everything. Sucks.. I’ll just set it a level lower also since the front is a tiny bit higher than the rear.

Thanks for the advice and link provided!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I reinstalled everything correctly. Feels much better than stock. I can see why the 5100s are such a popular option.

Now trying to decide how to lift up the rear an inch or two. Best options?

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
Out back just get you some new springs. Superflex or the like. Then probably some rear 5100 shocks to account for the extra travel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts