Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting these deflators after reading all the glowing reviews and finally got a nice set at the last Meet and Greet. I am having trouble getting these to work properly though. It seems to not want to deflate to the same pressure at a consistent basis. I've read the instructions and watched the video and still can't properly set them to the desired pressure. I've found that they will continue to deflate past the desired pressure (12 psi) but once I remove them and reinstall them, they will not deflate.

I've tried testing with just one deflator and could not get it to work consistently. At higher psi (18), it'll be 18, 16, 16, and 20. I deflate the same tire, test, reinflate, and retest. Since I can't even get one set so it functions properly I have no faith in using other ones. Right now I'm using them to deflate, but do not trust them to deflate to the right pressure. Is it possible that something wrong that I can correct myself? Could it be that I got the HD instead of the one rated for 6-30? Do they even look differently?

I'm not happy with how difficult this product is to use at this point. Please advice if know that I'm doing something wrong.

Thank.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
fjamming, i have a set also. And I had the same trouble. so I finally figured out that when you set them, after you install them on the valve pull out on the stem of the deflator. after they quit . air the tire back up then reinstall the deflator you set when the air starts coming out pull on the stem again. this will extend it and usually it will deflate to the setting you made the first time. hope this helps..

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
I'm glad that I'm not the only person that's having a problem getting them set.
I wish that I would of found these before I bought the Staun's.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fjamming, i have a set also. And I had the same trouble. so I finally figured out that when you set them, after you install them on the valve pull out on the stem of the deflator. after they quit . air the tire back up then reinstall the deflator you set when the air starts coming out pull on the stem again. this will extend it and usually it will deflate to the setting you made the first time. hope this helps..
I'm not sure I know what you're describing. I'll look at it again when I get back. I don't remember seeing anything on the Stauns that could be pulled out.

I just set mine to somewhere around 20 to 22 pounds. Then I go around after deflating and quickly equalize all of them to around 20 with my gauge.
Problem is that at lower pressure, it overshoots. I've set it for 12, and it goes to 6-and continues!

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
I'm not sure I know what you're describing. I'll look at it again when I get back. I don't remember seeing anything on the Stauns that could be pulled out.

Problem is that at lower pressure, it overshoots. I've set it for 12, and it goes to 6-and continues!
the brass stem that sticks out on the end of the deflator give it a pull.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad that I'm not the only person that's having a problem getting them set.
I wish that I would of found these before I bought the Staun's.
Terry, those look really cool. I like the presets. They are however very pricey!

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the brass stem that sticks out on the end of the deflator give it a pull.
Can you elaborate on the process again? It doesn't seem intuitive to me. You deflate the tire using the deflator with the stem on the deflator out. After it stopped, remove it and air the tire back up. Then you install the deflator again and pull the stem out again? Isn't this redundant? I'm confused :)lol: help?)

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Can you elaborate on the process again? It doesn't seem intuitive to me. You deflate the tire using the deflator with the stem on the deflator out. After it stopped, remove it and air the tire back up. Then you install the deflator again and pull the stem out again? Isn't this redundant? I'm confused :)lol: help?)

the deflator has a little stem sticking out the end of it.
If you pull on it while setting the psi you want, this will or is a default of the spring inside.(So having this a true setting).

Then when you re air up the tire above the setting you now have set the deflator too.and re install the deflator back on the tire, the air will start coming out, while it is you pull on the stem again, and let the deflator stop. it should then be at what you set it at. hope this helps..

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
When you are setting the deflators if the tire you are testing them on does not have much more air pressure than the deflator it will not autostart the deflation process unless you pull the pin stringmachine is talking about. When you are normally airing down there will be enough of a pressure difference to start the deflator automatically.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the deflator has a little stem sticking out the end of it.
If you pull on it while setting the psi you want, this will or is a default of the spring inside.(So having this a true setting).

Then when you re air up the tire above the setting you now have set the deflator too.and re install the deflator back on the tire, the air will start coming out, while it is you pull on the stem again, and let the deflator stop. it should then be at what you set it at. hope this helps..
Sounds like we have different Staun deflators. Mine has a knurled adjustment that's I turn to set the pressure.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Be Gentle, It only take a 2 degree turn to make them respond to a 1 pound pressure change. Maybe less. They are set at 18, plus or minus a degree. I had mine wacko sometimes. It helps to have a air compressor and your spare. A hour and you can set them using the spare. Take them to the trail and you might have to set them again. Because **** happens. Once they are set their good intill you want to go to a different setting.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Sounds like we have different Staun deflators. Mine has a knurled adjustment that's I turn to set the pressure.
Yes I know that setting mine are like that also. I am just talking about the stem on the end of them..I am not saying they arent a pia sometimes though:lol:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Stringmachine, thanks for the tips. I've never thought the pin was crucial in setting the desired pressure. I thought that was just a manual start stop. I don't think I've ever used that pin. It always starts. I'm just having problem with it stopping!

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
My four are all different. one goes to 14, one to 15, one 13 and 16.

They have been like that since day one (probably used 15 times or so now). I don't understand how to set them so i just let them be.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
What I have found works is after I installed them I go back to the first one installed and give it a flick with my finger a couple times until it stops then move on to the next one all the way around the truck, they stay pretty close this way, within a pound.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It seem like it "sticks" and didn't want to turn off. I never tried the "flick" method. The one time where it continue to deflate way past the preset, I stopped it manually. I don't know how low it would go or if it'll even stop! When I checked it was at 6 psi.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hmm thanks for posting this up Tony, I was going to pick up some stauns but weren't aware of these issues.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts