Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, All. I fired up my FJ yesterday (after having driven it in the morning) and let it run for a while while I was packing it up. It was a dry day, about 75 degrees. I noticed that steam was coming out of the exhaust pipe for a bit. I have never seen this on a warm day, only on cold mornings. Is this normal? What causes it? TIA for any help.

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
Ever since I swappped to the high clearance exhaust I get a condensation puddle under the rig from Idling.

·
Registered
367 Posts
water is one of the products of combustion... mine drips too. i am not 100% positive, but you might just have not noticed the drips with the stock pipe (ie they evaporated due to the angle and time they sat in there). I guess what I'm saying, is with the stock pipe more "horizontal", the water can pool there for a little bit longer, giving it time to evaporate and "burn off". With the high clearance pipe, the water can just "flow" out. With today's engines and "sensors" everywhere along the emissions system, they would probably let you know if there was a problem...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, that is a relief. I thought it was smoke at first and it really freaked me out. I put my nose right in it and realized it wasn't burnt oil but steam. Thanks for all the help guys, just making sure I don't have a lemon :)

Oh, and the steam was white...

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
It's normal, especially if you only drove it a short distance the last time you used it. The water will collect in the muffler and low lying pipe bends if the last time you drove it you didn't get the exhaust hot enough. Since you let it idle for a while, you put even more water into the exhaust system and the pipes probably got hot enough to 'boil' off the water.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's normal, especially if you only drove it a short distance the last time you used it. The water will collect in the muffler and low lying pipe bends if the last time you drove it you didn't get the exhaust hot enough. Since you let it idle for a while, you put even more water into the exhaust system and the pipes probably got hot enough to 'boil' off the water.

DEWFPO
Great answer. That is exactly the scenario, too. Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts