Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious if we can get our front plastic bumpers in steel? I like some of the brush bars you guys have but i'm more interested in replacing the bumper as it sits only made from steel. Do they exist? Think some local fab shop could make one?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
No they don't exsist. Closest thing is the lucrum mount with replaces the lower center bar of the bumper with a metal one to mount a winch on. I would imagine, if you have enough money, and they have the right tools, a fab shop could do this.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Did you ever get anywhere with this? I like the idea... What's the most basic steel bumper? The Lucrum is nice but is there any no frills steel out there?

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Did you ever get anywhere with this? I like the idea... What's the most basic steel bumper? The Lucrum is nice but is there any no frills steel out there?
It's either plate steel or Tube style... Demello seems to be the lightest and conforms tight to the body.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks all! Yeah, lightness is a good thing. I've owned some sports cars before and hp to weight is constantly in your head. Wonder why more wheelers don't consider that? Obviously, you don't want a feather weight rig but with more weight, there really should be a. Bigger Brakes and b. More ponies... With all the armor I'm sure people are adding 500-1000 lbs which is kinda crazy.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I used to drive a VW Golf GTI and it is kinda interesting to see how everything goes the opposite way when you go from sporty street cars to off-roaders.

Sports Car: Stiffer sway bar, lower to the ground, minimal sidewall on the tire, remove every bit of excess weight.

4-Wheeling: Sway bar disconnect, lift it, more sidewall, add a bunch of heavy steel.

As long as you don't drive the FJ like a sports car the weight doesn't matter that much up to a point. I'm not concerned about 0-60 time as long as I can make it over an obstacle without ripping the bumpers and undercarriage of my rig.

As far as getting a steel version of the stock bumper, I feel that would be highly unpractical. I'm no fabricator but I imagine that recreating the rounded edges on the stock bumper would very expensive/difficult/if not impossible. And going through all that trouble without any gains in clearance or protection for the grill and lights hardly seems worth it to me.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree totally, I guess I was asking more along the lines of something basic, and more classic looking. As far as weight is concerned, 0-60 times wouldnt really bother me but more weight needs better brakes, I made the mistake of buying heavy staggered 20s one time and could easily tell that I had messed up the ride with them. Protection is great, but somethings are really for looks so it can be bad, regardless of sports car or 4x4.. Guess Im just a Big Brake lover so I'm stuck on that, however Im running steelies so A. I dont know if they would fit (and def wouldnt be seen) , and B. Thats a pretty expensive upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts