Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon I will be working on the 2014 Toyota Tundra Rack & Pinion.

There are a few obstacles in the way, but nothing that can’t be worked out.
The distance between the barrel mounts is off by 1” the Fj is 15.5” and the Tundra rack is 16.5”. The mount on the driver side needs to be relocated by 1” outward. I have to weld/fab a 1/2” cold rolled steel plat from the bottom to support the new location for the barrel mount.
Also the steering intermediate shaft needs to be shorten since the pinion gear is much larger in diameter and taller.
The “RAM” on the Tundra rack needs to be shortened from both ends and retapped, and since I don’t know what type of steel Toyota is using, I will send the ram to my sister so she can heat treated it to whichever Rockwell/hardness scale she determines.

The rack is on its way to me from Dallas and this will take a while and I am positive I can make it work.
The Rack & Pinion on the FJ is the weakest link, everything else can be beefed up, and this way I don’t have to go SAS hopefully.

2010 Plus Fj Rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have you finished the install? Just a point here. Since you say the rams on both ends are too long. Can you just use Fabtechs tie rods since they are beefier and shorter than stock tie rods? Just an idea here.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Curious why your doing this only because the tie rods and ends are bigger on the FJ 2010 and up. Can't be interchanged.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you finished the install? Just a point here. Since you say the rams on both ends are too long. Can you just use Fabtechs tie rods since they are beefier and shorter than stock tie rods? Just an idea here.
Unfortunately it was no go and long story short, in order to “CENTER” the rack on the Fj frame I had to drill 2 holes but the holes would end up to close to the existing OEM mount.
I am looking to another rack and talking to the Toyota tech/measurements and will be ordering it soon.

Curious why your doing this only because the tie rods and ends are bigger on the FJ 2010 and up. Can't be interchanged.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

It has nothing to do with tie round ends. I already have a chromoly inner and outer, beside that the entire rack is weak including the stock inner and outer tie road ends.

I am doing this to beef-up the entire system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately it was no go and long story short, in order to “CENTER” the rack on the Fj frame I had to drill 2 holes but the holes would end up to close to the existing OEM mount.
I am looking to another rack and talking to the Toyota tech/measurements and will be ordering it soon.

It has nothing to do with tie round ends. I already have a chromoly inner and outer, beside that the entire rack is weak including the stock inner and outer tie road ends.

I am doing this to beef-up the entire system.

Where did you get those aftermarket inner/outter tie-rods?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts