Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard on someones build (I think SouthTexasCruiser's Landshark) that they were going to try and swap in a Tundra steering rack to the FJ, or at least see if it could work. Has anyone else tried this, or at least tried upgrading the rack itself?

Just some questions, feel free to provide any input/knowledge :clap:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds pretty cool but a possibly more economical upgrade might be to get stronger inner and outer tie rods. I believe MOOG is the company that makes them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But using Tundra rack migh be feasible if it can be shortened in width, I'm sure the tundra's rack, no pun intended, is wider than ours.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds pretty cool but a possibly more economical upgrade might be to get stronger inner and outer tie rods. I believe MOOG is the company that makes them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But using Tundra rack migh be feasible if it can be shortened in width, I'm sure the tundra's rack, no pun intended, is wider than ours.
Yeah I assume it is probably wider. The tie rods (at least the out ones you can see) aren't a problem for me to replace as much as the stress would then be transferred to the rack if you upgraded those.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
One of the problems with upgrading the tie-rods is that you move the point of failure from the easily trail replaced tie-rod, to the "you're screwed" steering rack if it breaks.

I would assume the steering rack on the Tundra is much more beefy and more "bullet-proof" for the FJC.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One of the problems with upgrading the tie-rods is that you move the point of failure from the easily trail replaced tie-rod, to the "you're screwed" steering rack if it breaks.

I would assume the steering rack on the Tundra is much more beefy and more "bullet-proof" for the FJC.
Yeah, the tundra rack is $200 more than the FJC rack. It HAS to be more beefy to hold up just beacuse of the sheer weight of the truck.

2009*Toyota*Tundra*Power Steering Rack from Power Steering Pros

2007*Toyota*FJ Cruiser*Power Steering Rack from Power Steering Pros

1 - 6 of 6 Posts