Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AT with off road package is less than a month old and it has been to the dealer 3 times.
Each time the dealer has diagnosed it as wheel balancing, the third time it spent a day at LeSchwab on their Hunter 9700.
The dealer even replaced the BFG Rugged Trails, this has helped somewhat but there is still a random flutter or vibration on the steering wheel between 55 and 65mph. The wheel will be dead smooth and a small upset on the road surface can get the vibration going. Something tells me that there is a portion of the steering mechanism/suspension that is underdamped

There is a ST004-16 for Tundra's regarding 'steering flutter' that evidently required the dealer to first balance the tires and then witness the vibraton themselves before replacing parts, a replaced control valve in the power steering has also bee nmentioned .
The Lexus GS470 also evidently had similar issues?

Is anyone aware of a suspension or steering fix to this?
Does anyone have a copy of the ST004-16 to post?

Please do not try and sell the out of balance wheels, the symptoms would not be the same.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You're right. In the vast majority of cases, your problem is due to improper wheel balance. Sorry I can't help you further.

Anyone have any theories on balancing warm tires versus cold tires? Would it make a difference?.......and how would you get the tires warm before balancing?

Sorry for more questions than answers.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks Folks! I'm having the same problem with my new TT. I'm printing these threads up and taking them to the dealer tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does seem that the FJ's are overly sensitive to wheel balancing, the Toyota factory tech recommended the road force to be under 15 or 16 lb while the LeSchwab Tech said that 'other' small trucks are normally allright under 27 odd lbs?

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a fix from Toyota # TSB -0178-13. This so for 2010-2013 FJ Cruisers. It's covered if your still in the 36K warranty period.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts