Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found most of the details for this post scattered across several threads, but didn't see one that had all the steps together with pictures. So I thought I would provide an update.
This is useful if you want to disassemble the front of the steering wheel to repair damage or change the cosmetics.

This first part of the procedure was previously detailed in this thread Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Loosening the Airbag:
Step 1)
Locate and remove the 2 access covers on either side of the back of the steering wheel. These can be removed with a trim tool or a small, flat screwdriver. Trim tool is better as the plastic here seems to be softer than usual and gouges very easily (if you care about cosmetic damage). Start at one of the shorter ends and work your way up the longer side to pop it out.​
Step 2)
Unscrew the Torx screw behind each access panel. This requires a T30 Torx driver. The screws are captured in a plastic clip so they won't fall out, but they do need to be completely loosened.​
Step 3)
Gently pull the airbag section (center circle) straight out about 4-6 inches and tilt it over to expose the connecting wires behind it.​

Attachments

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Disconnecting the airbag.

DISCLAIMER: This next step is at your OWN risk. I'm not an expert on airbags or the circuits that deploy them. I did enough research to convince myself that airbags will not deploy without battery power, but I do not know, and do not claim to know, all the conditions that could affect them.

Step 4)
Disconnect the battery. I disconnected both positive and negative completely and waited several minutes to make sure any capacitors had a chance to discharge. I found several posts with different advice on this; some that said you only had to disconnect the negative, others just the positive, and others that didn't disconnect the battery at all. I chose what seem to be the most cautious route.​

Step 5)
Using a small terminal screwdriver (or similar size) lift up the locking tabs on the back of the main connectors. They popup about 1/8" and you'll hear/feel a click as they reach their max position.​

Step 6)
Pull the main connectors off the back of the airbag assembly. I could not get them to come off by just pulling with my fingers. I had to gently pull up on the wire while prying the other end up with the terminal screwdriver so that it lifted parallel to the back of the airbag assembly.​

Step 7)
Finally, disconnect the grounding wire on the back of the airbag. It's a small black wire with a spade connector. I didn't get a good picture of the connector but it has a tiny locking tab that has to be pushed in while you are pulling the connector off.​

Attachments

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Removing the Trim and Audio Control pieces.

Step 8)
First remove the single phillips head screw that holds each piece in place.​

Step 9)
Then pull the piece slowly but firmly towards you while rocking it up and down. There are 2 hook tabs and a centering post that are gripping a chunk of rubber that is molded into the back part of the steering wheel. You are trying to work the tabs around the rubber while pulling it off. You should probably do this step when it is above 50deg F so the rubber and plastic tabs will give a little without breaking.​

Step 10)
The Audio Control piece comes off exactly the same way except there is a small wiring harness connected to it. Remove the zip-tie holding the wire in place and then disconnect it from the back of the control module.​

Step 11)
Finally, there are 4 screws holding the control module into the trim piece. Remove these screws and the module will simply fall out of the trim piece. Be carefull as you remove the module as the button faces are loose.​

Your airbag assembly and trim pieces are now removed and ready for you to modify as you see fit. Just reverse this process to put everything back together.
Hope this is helpful to someone. Let me know if I missed anything important.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts