Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got around to stitching up my steering wheel cover from Redline Goods and getting it installed. I wanted steering wheel controls in my 08 which didn't come with any. I ordered a wheel from a salvage yard out of a 2013 TT and got started with this awesome nappa leather on the new wheel. There are plenty of videos online on how to stitch the wheel but the main thing is to have patience. The stitched edges make it easier and I went with a hexagonal stitch. I used weldwood contact cement on the spokes of the wheel to keep it in place. You don't want the leather to be loose or lifting once its all stitched up. After many hours of stitching I came up with this final product.

There are some areas where I could have done a better job getting wrinkles out but after 8+ hours of stitching this wheel, it was good enough for me. I had to cut the "ears" off the airbag cover to allow it to fit with the steering wheel controls. I'll be installing a PAC harness soon so the controls with be able to interface with my Sony head unit.

The quality of the leather and custom-fitted cover is top-notch and I will continue to buy products from Redline Goods. I purchased an armrest cover from them for another car and was excited to try nappa leather this time. I highly recommend Redline Goods for any leather or upholstery needs. Even amid the COVID-19 pandemic they got my order ready quickly and had it shipped via FedEx air. I got a great deal during the leap year sale and purchased the transfer case boot as well. The stock boot is an ugly vinyl so this is a huge upgrade. Their "grabber blue" stitching and nappa leather is a close match to Voodoo blue. This is probably my favorite mod so far. The stock rubber steering wheel was hideous, having the high-quality nappa leather in my hands makes the driving experience a lot better. Let me know what you guys think! I think I did alright being my first time picking up a needle to try and sew something haha!

Here's the link to the FJ options: 2007-15 Toyota FJCruiser shift boot & steering wheel cover

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nice work on the steering wheel! I actually stitched one up (some off brand) on my FJ last year. Second one I ever did so I knew what I was in for. Just like you said, the rubber wheel is hideous. Never liked how narrow the wheel felt and the leather, while it doesn't add a whole lot more in diameter, feels significantly better.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stitching looks great. Good work! How's the quality of the leather material?
Sorry for the late response, the quality is excellent! I opted for the nappa leather which is what you would find in BMWs and other german luxury brands.

·
Admin
7,197 Posts
That looks awesome!!
Great job!
🍻 🍻 🍻

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boot is black nappa leather, same as the steering wheel

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 FJ
2 Posts
I was just thinking about ordering from Redline for my 2007. Did you have to remove the original covering first, or were you able to go right over the existing cover? If the former, was the existing cover easy to remove?

Additionally, is that the nappa leather they call "black"? Right now they only seem to have three choices in the Nappa: black, perforated black, and "grabber blue." I have to ask because it seems to match your (and my) interior, but I wouldn't call our interior black.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I removed the steering wheel (you'll likely need a steering wheel puller) and cut off the old stitching threads on the original wheel. If your wheel is rubber then it'll just go over that. The black matches super well, the nappa black looks more like a charcoal black which goes well with the fj interior.

·
Registered
2007 FJ
2 Posts
...and cut off the old stitching threads on the original wheel.
Thanks for the reply! So, you're saying that you only removed the stitching, and not the cover that the stitching was holding on? Mine has stitching, too, but I wasn't sure whether it was cosmetic, or if it was actually there to keep the cover on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You need to remove the original cover

1 - 14 of 14 Posts