Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I picked up a 2010 FJ a couple of months ago so been lurking here for a few months.

It came with a very nice ICON 3" lift with remote reservoir coilovers and the drive is great on 33's. I was considering 35's so I got a Toytec 1" body lift kit. Ran into a couple of issues but the pucks went in fine. But, I can't for the lift of me figure out how to get the steering wheel spacer in. I searched here for hours and even on the Taco forums. Mine seems different than the pictures I've seen. There's a shaft that sticks out about an inch past the plate on the lower member, and there are the studs coming down the upper steering wheel shaft. Even after undoing everything and lifting the body up again, there seems to be no way for the spacer to go in unless I lift the body up several inches which I don't want to do in order to not damage anything. The Toytec instructions also explicitly said don't take off the studs so I didn't do that. Attaching pics. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated while I bang my head against the wall some more.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
I would like to help you but I can`t tell what im looking at. We have a a member named FJtest he seems to know everything about the FJ maybe he can help :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reference. I figured it out. There were two problems:

1. The instructions from Toytec have you drop the car down and then try to do this. Once the body is back down, there isn't enough clearance to move the u-joint and make room for the spacer. It's much easier to do while the car is still up. Best time is to do it at the same time you're putting in the front driver side pucks.
2. Many people said don't move the steering wheel while doing this. I'm not entirely sure why. But depending on the position of the steering wheel, you may not be able to swing the top part out of the way.

So, I lifted the body back up. Then I turned the steering wheel about a quarter and was able to completely swing the top with the u-joint out of the way. Then you can put in the spacer on the bottom section. After that, you can put get the studs in the holes one at a time while moving the steering wheel back into the original position.

Maybe this will help someone in the future. Also, need to make sure that the slip joint isn't bound up and it allows the shaft to drop. It only went down about 1/2" but that was important. You can now see the space between the slider and the body. That was right up against the body before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts