Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wheeling this past weekend and crossed a rut. when crossing i hit pretty hard. when i got back to the asphalt i noticed the steering wheel is clocked about 10degrees clockwise off center. driving, the fj still tracks for the most part straight( slight pull to the left?) anyone else have any experience with this sort of steering issue?

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
I thwack the steering wheel "straight position" off all the time. Best recommendation is to get a setting for the tie rods from before you've thwacked it, and then you can always reset it after a run. Right now, "straight" on my truck is also like 10 degrees off where it should be :) With no drift in the vehicle, I'm just mentally calibrating it out when I drive. I get these knocks so frequently that going in for an alignment each time is not realistic.

...you may have bent something, like a spindle.
x2: This you should definitely check for - you'd probably be noticing a drift in the vehicle, also - visually check the spindle and tie-rods, for sure. I've broken both - when they go, you usually notice.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
yeah I knocked it so far sideways that the warning lights came on. Then knocked it back straight again on the same trail the next day..

·
Premium Member
2007 Black FJC
2,204 Posts
yeah I knocked it so far sideways that the warning lights came on. Then knocked it back straight again on the same trail the next day..
That is, in fact, the preferred fix, as quoted by the owners manual :)

How's Japan?? We need a ninja emoticon!

·
Registered
458 Posts
I did mine last dec took it in and he recentered the wheel all the trac lights come on and I had no traction control.I asked him how many times I could do this and get it fixed and he smiled and said when you run out of threads to adjust he could not pin point the reason.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Does anyone have heavier duty parts for the tie rods or spindle or is this just gonna transfer the force to something more expensive to replace?

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Does anyone have heavier duty parts for the tie rods or spindle or is this just gonna transfer the force to something more expensive to replace?
All pro makes both stronger tie rods and spindle gussets. I only have the gussets, but need to order the tie rods or at least pick up some spares.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
All-Pro No longer makes the HD Steering links. Not enough demand
I have a new set I just put on about 1 month ago, that I may end up taking off, due to a LT possibility, sometime soon. I will probably put them up for sale then.
I have another set of spindles I acquired. I am going to Bellydocs this week to have the Total Chaos Gussets welded on. Then I will switch them out form stock . I weld, but bellydoc is quite an accomplished welder, from his massive buggy build. I will let him "work his welding magic" with my gussets .
thanks
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts