Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a used set of Cooper STT 285/75/16 tires, moving up from a set of Kumho 265/75/16 MT's. Problem is when I mounted the used tires, the steering wheel would vibrate really hard when getting between 60-65mph then steady out at around 70mph (but still a bit shaky, more than my Kumho's). I checked the tire pressure and noticed the back tires were a bit low so I aired them up and drove around again. It improved the vibration a good bit, but there was still something off with them.

I assumed that they may need to be balanced so I took them to the tire shop near my place this morning and had them re-balance all the wheels. Took them out for a spin again and still vibrating at the same speeds. Also the steering feels a bit buttery. It's definitely not as smooth as it was before. Would I need an alignment done when moving up from a 265 tire to a 285 tire? Could that be the cause? The tires don't seem to have uneven wear and they all seem to have the same tread depth. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
390 Posts
You need your tires balanced by a good shop.

I had 5 285-75-16 BFG KM2s installed new. They did the same thing yours did but about 5-10 mph slower. The shop that sold the tires and did the install said it would 'go away.'

I went to a different shop, they rebalanced the tires, said they were all > 2 ozs off, and now the tires ride like butter (that's good...).

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm, maybe I'll go back this weekend and have someone else re-balance them. They did an excellent job with my Kumhos, but there wasn't that much of a noticeable difference between ride quality this morning. I'd hate to shell out extra $$ to have another shop do it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Weights fall off and as rubber wears you need to have them rebalanced also!

Look into getting dynabeads!!!!! I love these things! Last the life of the tire and you will always be in balance! I take my mudders on the turn pike all the time cruising 75+ with no problems!!! On my 2nd set of tires using them also ;)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very interesting. I guess last resort I'll try that out and see if it fixes the issue. I called up the tire shop and explained the situation. They're gonna try a force variation balance for no extra charge to see if that settles the issue. If not, I'll see how much these Dynabeads cost ;)

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
You could just have a chunk of mud stuck to the back side of your rim. Its amazing how a 2ounce piece of mud can throw a wheel out of balance. Happens to me all the time and washing them out works everytime.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I had the day off work and thought I'd stop back into the tire shop to see if they had time to re-balance the tires. Unfortunately the guy I've been dealing with (the sales rep, not the actual technician) had no idea what the hell he was talking about. He wanted to tell me that the reason that my tires were causing the vibration was because my psi was too low. Currently set at 32psi, he said that the front tires should be at 55psi and the rear tires should be somewhere around 80-85psi. .....
Needless to say I tried not to hurt his ego too much when I pointed to the max 65psi rating on the tire. I forget the other excuse he said. Oh right, he said because it was a mud terrain that it would always ride like that. I then proceeded to tell him that I was aware how mud terrains rode and that the Kumho tires that I bought from them rode a lot better than the Coopers. I think he ran out of excuses because he quickly agreed to give me my money back for the previous balance attempt.

Guess I'll have to take my business elsewhere. :boohoo:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unless I misread your first post, the Coopers are USED tires?
If that is correct:
they may be cupped from the previous owner's vehicle not being properly aligned
or
they may be out of round, did you check? or

your front end might need alignment.

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,125 Posts
if it starts at 60 go 59mph..:habbobuggs:
If they are used you may be stuck with the vibration as mentioned. if they are new, I would find a 4x4 shop and have them balance the Especially if they are oversized/larger tires.. if you have gone offroad recent, ANY mud or dirt on the inner section of the wheel can and normally does cause vibraion.. It only takes a 1 once to through it off at highway speeds and cause a bad vibration.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm cutting my losses on them. Now I just have to decide whether or not to try new Coopers or General Grabbers.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
this happens to me the car feels like its swerving slightly at 65-75mph but its completely stock, it might just be because I drove a truck before this so I'm not used to a lighter vehicle

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There was a thread on here where a lot of people were complaining about this problem, but my FJ has driven smooth since the day I got it. With the stock tires and my previous Kumho MT's. These used Coopers though get pretty rough at that speed, it's a significant change over my Kumho's and stockers.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Let me try and boil down the 30 pages- FJ wheels are stud balanced, most vehicles are hub balanced. If the shop has a balance machine that has one large conicle shaped clamp that locks the wheel hub to the balancing machine the balancing will be off. (It's the same thing we all used back when we used to work in a service station).

Toyota issued a service bulletin last year to dealers, they all use a special attachment to achieve proper balance. Many independent shops are not aware of this procedure, even a large Discount Tire shop in Chicago was not aware- ask me how I know!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Let me try and boil down the 30 pages- FJ wheels are stud balanced, most vehicles are hub balanced. If the shop has a balance machine that has one large conicle shaped clamp that locks the wheel hub to the balancing machine the balancing will be off. (It's the same thing we all used back when we used to work in a service station).

Toyota issued a service bulletin last year to dealers, they all use a special attachment to achieve proper balance. Many independent shops are not aware of this procedure, even a large Discount Tire shop in Chicago was not aware- ask me how I know!!
Ok... so.. This means I need to go to a shop and ask "do you know of the service bulletin toyota sent out about balancing tires for the FJ - they are stud balanced not hub balanced. you need a special adapter, do you have it?" and see what they say?

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Ok... so.. This means I need to go to a shop and ask "do you know of the service bulletin toyota sent out about balancing tires for the FJ - they are stud balanced not hub balanced. you need a special adapter, do you have it?" and see what they say?
That's exactly what I would do. Here's my experience- I bought four new tires, they were of course balanced before I left the shop. I got half way home and turned around and went back to the shop because the shacking was so bad. The shop rebalanced the wheels and said they couldn't believe how badly they'd done it the first time. I leave and it's better but still not right, so I read through the 30 pages mentioned above and become an "instant expert". I then go to the dealer, reference the SB and exact adapter plate that's needed and have them rebalance the wheels correctly. That was back in February and I haven't had a problem since.

Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts