Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
I had the same problem with two sets of tires on my aftermarket rims. I read a thread here where the OP had tried the roadforce balancing method and it didn't work for him. It was suggested that the air valve on the rims be aligned with the yellow circles on the tirewalls, something about matching the heaviest part of the tire with the lightest part of the rim or vice versa.

I brought the truck back to the shop and although the tech told me I was nuts, he dismounted and re-aligned the tires/wheels as I instructed. Presto, no more shimmy.

Once in a blue moon, I "think" I may get a hint of shimmy. But I'm not sure if it's a shimmy or just my ridiculously large 305/50's transmitting road irregularities.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Yeah do a search. Major problem that actually has nothing to do with the wheels and tires and Toyota wont own up to.

·
Registered
152 Posts
There is no "fix." According to Toyota it is "typical of the vehicle" and it is "operating as designed." Apparently the engineers at Toyota thought that people would enjoy this unique feature and incorporated it into their design.

I am completely over trying to fix it and filed a lawsuit last month.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You probly just lost a wheel weight. Happens to me now and then. Just go get your tires rebalanced and you`ll be fine.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Ill say it again, its not the wheels and tires. It Toyota changing the steering rack and now it is sensitive to all but the most perfect of balances.

I tried two sets of BFGs, Steelies and TRD. Road force balanced them three times and it still shook to one degree or another.

On top of that my steering now feels loose and knocky over bumps.

Really disappointed in Toyota.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My experience is similar. I had the 6 yr old stock Dunlops on alloys running absolutely bone straight. Second-hand winter Blizzaks 245/75 on 17in. steelies running absolutely bone straight. Put on new Wrangler LT265/70R17s and it shimmy's like an SOB at the usual 90 to 110 kph (55 mph range). Figure it's the LT's so I switch to my second choice General Grabber AT2 P rated and the shimmy is greatly reduced. But now I have a slight pull to the right. I attribute it to Canadian Tire's crappy machine calibration and indifferent technician. Bring it to a new independent shop with nice new machines and it is fine. They balanced all 4 wheels from scratch and the shimmy is barely perceptible at about 105 Kph. They say the rear axle is slightly misaligned though and now I'm thinking Canadian Tire f'd up something raising it on the lift. F**KERS!

As mentioned in other threads, the FJ's steering is sensitive for a truck but my moral of the story is - Don't buy from chain tire stores just because the product's on sale. Purchase from a garage that likes and cares about what they are doing.

Side note - Liking my Grabbers!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
An old tech who works at the shop across the street from my office claims that this whole shimmy problem is due to a misadjusted rack & pinion. He told me to get the specs on the "adjustment" and that he promised that the problem would go away after re-adjusting it.

I think he's talking about something like the preload adjustment on standard, old-style steering boxes. Do our rack & pinions even have any such adjuster?

You know, he might have a point. The fact that the steering wheel shimmies left to right rather than the usual balancing-related up'n down has got to mean something.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also something to note. I know the 2010+ FJ have a tighter turning radius. Not sure what they changed, but I notice a difference in the steering wheel feel between my 2007 and 2010 when they both had big tires. The 2007 turned silky smooth, the 2010 has a feel in the steering wheel, kind of like a force feedback steering wheel found in arcade games...the ones where you had to hold the wheel still or the game would spin it any which way.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Also something to note. I know the 2010+ FJ have a tighter turning radius. Not sure what they changed, but I notice a difference in the steering wheel feel between my 2007 and 2010 when they both had big tires. The 2007 turned silky smooth, the 2010 has a feel in the steering wheel, kind of like a force feedback steering wheel found in arcade games...the ones where you had to hold the wheel still or the game would spin it any which way.
YES EXACTLY! MINE ALSO HAS THIS FEEL!

They changed the rack in 2010 and the steering has been messed up ever since.

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
An old tech who works at the shop across the street from my office claims that this whole shimmy problem is due to a misadjusted rack & pinion. He told me to get the specs on the "adjustment" and that he promised that the problem would go away after re-adjusting it.

I think he's talking about something like the preload adjustment on standard, old-style steering boxes. Do our rack & pinions even have any such adjuster?

You know, he might have a point. The fact that the steering wheel shimmies left to right rather than the usual balancing-related up'n down has got to mean something.
I checked the 2011 FSM and yes there is a preload on the steering gear. However if your truck ever drove ok, then I would doubt this value was incorrect. Let him try it if it works then sweet, maybe we have another fix option:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
YES EXACTLY! MINE ALSO HAS THIS FEEL!

They changed the rack in 2010 and the steering has been messed up ever since.
Cool, good to know I'm not the only one then. I'm thinking it may have to do with whatever steering changes they made in 2010.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mine usually occurs when some tech decides to set my E rated BFG Rugged Trails at 32lbs or whatever the door sticker says. These are 44 psi max tires though and anything set under 40lbs gives me the shimmy. Air em up and I'm good to go.

Not sure that this applies but thought I'd add that to the mix of info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I test drove my pre-owned 2011, it shimmied at 70 mph. They re-balanced the front tires, now I feel the shimmy between 60 and 65. BFG on TRD rims. I'm going to bring it to another dealer to checked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts