Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mine 2010 TT got the shimmy after owning it for around 6 months. Mostly at around 60 to 65mph.

I inflated the tires a bit above the pressure shown on the door sticker, and that helped, but it was still there.

Three months more tire wear and it was gone and hasn't come back in over a year. I'm on the same tires.

So it seemed to be just a combination of tire pressure and a period of tire wear; once out of this "band" the problem was cured.

·
Registered
2007 FJ
268 Posts
I checked the 2011 FSM and yes there is a preload on the steering gear. However if your truck ever drove ok, then I would doubt this value was incorrect. Let him try it if it works then sweet, maybe we have another fix option:bigthumb:
Can anyone tell me what this preload value is. My shimmy is back erratically and my old tech still insists that this is the problem.

ANYONE?

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
Assuming your guy knows what he's doing this looks like the part he'll need

"Standard preload:
1.6 to 2.3 N*m (16 to 23 kgf*cm, 14 to 20 in.*lbf)
If the total preload is not within the specified range, replace the power steering link assembly.
HINT:
• Measure the standard preload at the steering rack neutral point.

The steering pinion shaft is fully turned when turned approximately 3 times. Half of the distance from the fully turned position is the neutral point."

21 - 26 of 26 Posts