Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

New here! Great Forum, I've learned a lot!

Last week I bought one of the new TT SE's at Toyota of Orange in CA.

While leaving the dealership I noticed a slight vibration of the steering wheel while accelerating between 50mph and 60mph. I took the car back two days later to request they re-balance the tires. Seemed good for about two days, however the problem came back about three days ago at it seems to be getting worse.

Has not been off road (yet). Any ideas what this can be? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Folks,

New here! Great Forum, I've learned a lot!

Last week I bought one of the new TT SE's at Toyota of Orange in CA.

While leaving the dealership I noticed a slight vibration of the steering wheel while accelerating between 50mph and 60mph. I took the car back two days later to request they re-balance the tires. Seemed good for about two days, however the problem came back about three days ago at it seems to be getting worse.

Has not been off road (yet). Any ideas what this can be? Any advice would be appreciated.
Definitely symptomatic of poor tire balance. They may need to rotate the tire on the wheel and then rebalance it...

·
Registered
834 Posts
i had this problem think i still do. lol. There is a thread about using a different machine to balance the tires, but i have heard and experienced the fjs are hard to get perfect.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Have it dynamic balanced from a reputable shop. I had the same issue with my BFG's. After 1 was replaced from a blowout, I have the shimmy again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dynamic Balanced? Got it! Thanks!!!!

Anyone know if this is possible through most dealers or is this a speciality shop service?

·
Registered
375 Posts
There are many threads on this isue. From what I have read it mostly affects the TRD SE,(myself included) and now the TT it seems. The fix seems to be a proper road force balance. I will find the thread and post it up here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bought this TT SE three weeks ago. I have had my tires balanced twice in the last two weeks by the dealer. The last try was today with the Hunter 9700. Issue still is present around 55mph. What is my option here? Do I keep returning this thing to the dealer for balancing or do I need these tires swapped out?

Anyone else gone/going through the same thing with a TT SE???

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I had the same issue......but the road force helped my situation.....they took me in the back here is the issue one of my tires was not a TRUE round.....this one is placed in the rear, so I am figuring that after I do a tire rotation the vibration will be back.......I would try the road force again, put the bad tire or tires in the rear....or just get the toyota dealership to swap out all your tires

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dealer wants to swap out the tires as they are concerned they cant resolve the issue. I like the BF Goodrich that come with the TT SE package, but they would prefer another tire. It seems this is a problem with the mfg process of this tire?

Any suggestions on a comparable tire to what I have would be appreciated. They will provide equal quality or better.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dealer wants to swap out the tires as they are concerned they cant resolve the issue. I like the BF Goodrich that come with the TT SE package, but they would prefer another tire. It seems this is a problem with the mfg process of this tire?

Any suggestions on a comparable tire to what I have would be appreciated. They will provide equal quality or better.
go with some Pro-Comps. As for the balance issue I was having the same deal but the guys at Discount Tire did a "ride match" balance and I haven't had any issues since.
Good luck amigo :bandit:

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have the same issue with my tires as well... just picked up my TTSE a week ago and noticed the vibration on the freeway. I figured it could be just because the tires has an aggressive off-road pattern. But I also notice a slight pull to the right. I just have to find time to bring it back to the dealership to get it fixed.

·
Registered
434 Posts
just got it back from the dealer & they said there was nothing wrong with it... the steering wheel vibration was normal & within factory spec... so was the slight drift the the right when I drive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just got it back from the dealer & they said there was nothing wrong with it... the steering wheel vibration was normal & within factory spec... so was the slight drift the the right when I drive.
Take it back. I went back to the dealer three times before they fixed it. Twice they balanced tires. Brand new tires and new rims later the problem is gone.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
my TRD also did this and still does, but not as noticeable now. i think this is a common problem with toyota in general, just as foggy windshields are common with Hondas. my inlaws have a 2003 4Runner and a 2006 corolla and both have a slight vibration in the steering wheel, within a speed range. as far as the FJs go, i do believe it may be more common with those who got the BFG AT KOs.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the same problem with my TTSE I picked up about two weeks ago. They told me the tires were still setting and to come back after 1000 miles to have them realigned and balanced. Im a little apprehensive. I have a feeling they are going to say that I have driven them so they can't replace them. They told me they would cover the cost, but the more I think about it, the more im thinking they won't. Guess Ill find out soon. As for tire pressure, I aired down the other day for a trail, then aired up to about 8psi less than I normally run and the problem persisted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts