18,479 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel

edited to add link.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Steering Wheel

I did not think about it until I saw a 4x4 show on TV, and they said that if you do any trail runs you should look at getting a new wheel because the comfort of the ride. With some of the new designs in steering wheels they have the thumb areas too because I do not want to put my thumbs through the wheel but they are uncomfortable on the stock wheel.

When I was younger I had a Grant wheel and it did make driving that much nicer. I guess it is just another one of those things that if you have not done it then try it, if you like it do it again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I cant see doing it cause of the airbag and audio controls, but Toyota screwed up on the steering wheel. Its totally cheap-looking garbage, might as well come out of a Corolla or Scion.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I do not have the audio controls and do not want to add them. I have jot the horn more numbers then I can count and on the trail it sucks a lot. Everyone is checking to make sure that it is ok and you have to explain about the horn. I just am not a fan of this and would like to know if and how to change it. I have not found a install kit from Grant or Momo so if any one has done it or has found anything to do it please let me know.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Yeah, I do not have the audio controls and do not want to add them. I have jot the horn more numbers then I can count and on the trail it sucks a lot. Everyone is checking to make sure that it is ok and you have to explain about the horn. I just am not a fan of this and would like to know if and how to change it. I have not found a install kit from Grant or Momo so if any one has done it or has found anything to do it please let me know.
Ah... the honk of shame. I know it all too well. I hate it too, but it's just too much trouble to change a wheel just to disable the horn. Have you contacted air2air?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
OK the deal is I probably should have done a writeup, just that I didn't take pictures. It did not go in cleanly. It needed a little Dremel work, and you know what that means. Also you have to seriously want it, because you are not gonna be able to put the stock wheel back in afterward. First, pics:

Here is what I learned:

1. All aftermarket steering wheels use a "hub adapter". They sell these adapters for various make and models. When you install the wheel, 95% of the work is installing the hub adapter. All the aftermarket wheels use the same six-bolt pattern, so you can use any wheel after you get the adapter on.

2. You will end up trashing everything but the turn signal, unfortunately. I lost the cruise control in addition to the audio controls. As Axe says, the wheel is indeed cheap junk. And the worst is, it is highly integrated into the steering column.

3. This IS a one-day project, but you will be doing a little metal and plastic filing. Sorry I don't have in-progress pictures.

4. Airbag. Mine have all been disconnected for other reasons. You should ask somebody else about what to do in this department.

Here is a side view of the hub adapter. Now you know why the cruise control is gone.

Much of the work was removing the factory wheel. You will wince as you are unplugging wiring from the wheel. But this is assuming you are committed to getting this done. So yank away.

When I did mine in roughly March of '08, Momo did not offer a hub adapter for the FJ. The dealer gave me a couple to try that were labeled "Toyota truck". The smaller one fit sort of, but I had to Dremel away a protuberance on the adapter. Then it fit.

There is a large left-hand nut on the steering shaft. It is splined so you then get to wonder if you left the steering centered before you started! But I guessed right, and after the hub is on, it is nothing to put the wheel onto the hub adapter and stick in the horn button.

What's that? Did I say "horn"? Well, that's next week's project...!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your write up and warning about doing this. I do not think that I will be going down this road either but am interested, did Momo say that there were going to have a adapter soon so that we might not have to do all the things you did?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Nice write up Todd. Sorry for putting you on the spot. :D

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Frost, the dealer just told the Momo rep that really, neither of them fit perfectly. Don't know how long it will take Momo to make one.

But the getting the adapter to fit only slows you down about an hour. It's impossible to describe without photos. At the time I was doing it, I just needed to get it done and get my car drivable again so I didn't stop to document.

I do not know how to unplug the wheel airbag without throwing an airbag error light. And probably the dealer will not either. So you will have a little red light on the dash. All my airbags are unplugged from the yaw sensor. However the yaw sensor needs to remain plugged into the ECU to allow the car to drive. So I have a little red light.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yet another unique addition to a truly jaw dropping and bada$$ FJ. I think I'll just wrap mine with leather or rawhide to improve comfort and grip. I'm realy not impressed with the stearing wheel or the seats, still trying to convince my girl ''WE'' realy need bucket seat. I think she's starting to crack.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I can't change the wheel can I stop the horn from being all over the place and maybe just the center or something. I still would like to have a horn just not the whole area that it is currently.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If it's just an issue of horn, take a look at this thread. The OP seem to have been able to hack into the horn.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts