Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search for this and could not find any reference to it. This information came from a Toyota TSB dated November 9, 2007 (TSB#EL009-07) I just added a remote to my 07 FJ and can confirm this information is accurate.

Begin With;
- Driver's door open and unlocked
- Key out of ignition
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds

2. Close and open the driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4-6 should be performed within 40 seconds

4. Close and open the driver's door TWICE

5. Insert the key into the ingnition

6. Close the door

7. Turn the ignition switch from "LOCK" to "ON" and back to "LOCK" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode from the list below:
- 1 time for ADD mode
- 2 times for REWRITE mode
- 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode
- 5 times for PROHIBITION mode

8. Remove the key from the ignition

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If CONFIRMATION or PROHIBITION modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For ADD or REWRITE modes, do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation;
A - Press both transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simulataneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. (I had to do this a few times because I held the buttons down longer than the 1-1.5 seconds)
B - Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter LOCK button from more than 1 second and release.
> If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.
> If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
C - If multiple remotes are to be reprgrammed, repeat steps A and B

11. Open to driver's door to conclude programming mode

12. If you make an error during the programming mode, turn the ignition key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" to erase entered steps.

Good luck and ping me if you have any questions or issues. This procedure works for all 2007 and 2008 FJs as well as the following;

2000 - 2005 Celica
2001 - 2003 Prius
2001 - 2005 ECHO
2001 - 2007 Highlander
2001 - 2008 RAV4
2002 - 2006 Camry
2003 - 2008 Avalon, Corolla and Matrix
2004 - 2008 Sienna and Solara
2005 - 2008 Tacoma
2007 - 2008 FJ Cruiser and Yaris

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the info.

As I was reading this, I can picture my neighbors looking at me weird opening and closing my door multiple times and playing with my keys. :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for posting this Nick.
I just ordered a chip key off ebay ($22.00). I'm going to try this procedure with my '08 FJ when the key arrives.
Has anyone been successful using this method?
Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a search for this and could not find any reference to it. This information came from a Toyota TSB dated November 9, 2007 (TSB#EL009-07) I just added a remote to my 07 FJ and can confirm this information is accurate.

Begin With;
- Driver's door open and unlocked
- Key out of ignition
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds

2. Close and open the driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4-6 should be performed within 40 seconds

4. Close and open the driver's door TWICE

5. Insert the key into the ingnition

6. Close the door

7. Turn the ignition switch from "LOCK" to "ON" and back to "LOCK" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode from the list below:
- 1 time for ADD mode
- 2 times for REWRITE mode
- 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode
- 5 times for PROHIBITION mode

8. Remove the key from the ignition

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If CONFIRMATION or PROHIBITION modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For ADD or REWRITE modes, do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation;
A - Press both transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simulataneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. (I had to do this a few times because I held the buttons down longer than the 1-1.5 seconds)
B - Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter LOCK button from more than 1 second and release.
> If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.
> If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
C - If multiple remotes are to be reprgrammed, repeat steps A and B

11. Open to driver's door to conclude programming mode

12. If you make an error during the programming mode, turn the ignition key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" to erase entered steps.

Good luck and ping me if you have any questions or issues. This procedure works for all 2007 and 2008 FJs as well as the following;

2000 - 2005 Celica
2001 - 2003 Prius
2001 - 2005 ECHO
2001 - 2007 Highlander
2001 - 2008 RAV4
2002 - 2006 Camry
2003 - 2008 Avalon, Corolla and Matrix
2004 - 2008 Sienna and Solara
2005 - 2008 Tacoma
2007 - 2008 FJ Cruiser and Yaris
Hi Nick,

I will try your steps this weekend. Thanks for the post. Quick question about the modes. First, I lost my original keyless remote keys(2) so I would like to unprogram those two. I purchased two online and I am wondering if this would be an add mode or a rewrite mode. My only working key is the valet key. I was able to get the two purchased online cut by the dealer for free. My question is what mode do I use and what happens to the valet key. Does it reset too?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Got my new ebay remote today and used the above and it worked:clap: after like five times of trying it. take your time it will work! Thanks again for the great info!:clap::clap:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings,

I was successful in unlocking/locking with the new keys I purchased online. I was unable to start the FJC with them though. Does this program also enable me to start the ignition or do I have to go to the dealer for that. They want $155. Please help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the Information. Like everybody else, I went to the Dealership to get another fob and they quoted me $235 for one. I picked one up on Ebay made by Denso (toyota OEM) for $18. They have tons avaliable on ebay. Just make sure your FCC Id# is the same as the advertised fob. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Thanks just saved me 50 bucks from the stealer. My frount door is not hooked up but worked with the back door! 2007 FJC

·
Registered
423 Posts
This work on 2010 models? And to clarify, this will not only program the remote but enable the key to start the vehicle as well?

I ordered a 2 key combo off of Ebay, one just opens the doors the other will do it all.

I can't find a remote though, just blanks with no internal electronics. You guys have a place I can find a complete remote with a blank key?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Just a heads up. I bought a key on Ebay for my 2010... now I'm not talking about programming the remote to unlock doors, etc.. but rather to program a chip so when you insert the key it will start the vehicle.

Don't do it. Spend the money, buy a factory key. While it may work on 09 and down I spent 60.00 plus cutting and the price of keys... almost 100.00 and couldn't get it to program. Local locksmith nor Toyota could get it to program. Very expensive door keys.

This is the guy I bought it from: eBay My World - bartolete

Just an fyi... don't waste your money.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Don't you just love the search feature on this site? I posted these instructions almost three years prior to this thread http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/34096-keyless-remote-programming-instructions-inside.html#post564152

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quick question... is the master key required to program both the remote key and the key without the buttons? I've found an ebay seller for the remote key but apparently the master key is required??

I've lost all my keys so I've really got nothing left to go on except to get it towed to the dealer and fork out $450...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'll be trying this soon. I recently bought an 08 tt and it only came with one key. I went to the toyota dealer today and they wanted $260 for a key and $35 to program it so I just bought a transponder key without the buttons for $60 and will see if this works for getting it to start the vehicle.

For what they want for a key with the buttons I'll just go buy an aftermarket remote start setup!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tried this and no dice. I'm guessing it is just for use on keys with a fob built on them. Not paying $260 for another key with the fob on it so I guess I'll take this one back to toyota and have them program it and then head to get an aftermarket remote start installed.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Is there a way to turn on the "alarm feature"? I have the factory pods, and the "panic button" works. However, if my doors are locked with the windows down, the inside lock can be unlocked and the door opens without alarm...

"Dream like you'll live forever,
live like you'll die today."
-James Dean

·
Registered
162 Posts
Programmed the FOB and replaced my remote successfully today following the NickP's instructions. Worked like a boss!! I was so hoping to eliminate that pesky remote and streamline the key ring! Thank NickP! :clap: :clap::rocker:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts