Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Nick,

Thanks for Keyfob guide -- IT WORKED...

I replaced the Keyfob battery (CR2016) and followed the instructions.

I did the REWRITE mode as per Step #7. However, it didn't cycle from lock to unlock as per Step #9. Still I persisted on with Step #10 A and the lock cycled twice -- I thought it was an error because I hadn't done Step #10 B, yet. Anyways I pressed the transmitter LOCK button as per Step #10 B, and was surprised when the door locked. After that I pressed the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK button a couple more times and then determined that the door locking mechanism had reset and was now working properly.

Thanks
Ezzy

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello NickP,

Thanks for the Keyfob guide -- IT WORKED...

I own a 2007 Yaris.

I started by replacing my Keyfob battery (CR2016 - I figured this was the reason my remote lock/unlock stopped working) and followed the instructions.

I did the REWRITE mode as per Step #7.

However, it didn't cycle from lock to unlock as per Step #9. Still I persisted on with Step #10 A and the lock cycled twice -- I thought it was an error because I hadn't done Step #10 B, yet.

Anyways I pressed the transmitter LOCK button as per Step #10 B, and was surprised when the door locked. After that I pressed the transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK button a couple more times and then determined that the remote door locking mechanism had reset and was now working properly.

The whole process took less then 5 minutes.

Thanks again...
Ezzy

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just programmed a HYQ12BBX remote I got off ebay using these instructions. Worked perfectly with my '08.

I was uncertain b/c the original was a chip key and not a remote, but it worked great! Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
How can I change the code so that a missing key fob cannot be used to enter the vehicle? I have another one, but it is set to original code, so the person who took the other fob coukd still use it. I'm worried bcz it is my daughter's car and someone may have maliciously stolen the fob.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did a search for this and could not find any reference to it. This information came from a Toyota TSB dated November 9, 2007 (TSB#EL009-07) I just added a remote to my 07 FJ and can confirm this information is accurate.

Begin With;
- Driver's door open and unlocked
- Key out of ignition
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds

2. Close and open the driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4-6 should be performed within 40 seconds

4. Close and open the driver's door TWICE

5. Insert the key into the ingnition

6. Close the door

7. Turn the ignition switch from "LOCK" to "ON" and back to "LOCK" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode from the list below:
- 1 time for ADD mode
- 2 times for REWRITE mode
- 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode
- 5 times for PROHIBITION mode

8. Remove the key from the ignition

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If CONFIRMATION or PROHIBITION modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For ADD or REWRITE modes, do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation;
A - Press both transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simulataneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. (I had to do this a few times because I held the buttons down longer than the 1-1.5 seconds)
B - Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter LOCK button from more than 1 second and release.
> If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.
> If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
C - If multiple remotes are to be reprgrammed, repeat steps A and B

11. Open to driver's door to conclude programming mode

12. If you make an error during the programming mode, turn the ignition key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" to erase entered steps.

Good luck and ping me if you have any questions or issues. This procedure works for all 2007 and 2008 FJs as well as the following;

2000 - 2005 Celica
2001 - 2003 Prius
2001 - 2005 ECHO
2001 - 2007 Highlander
2001 - 2008 RAV4
2002 - 2006 Camry
2003 - 2008 Avalon, Corolla and Matrix
2004 - 2008 Sienna and Solara
2005 - 2008 Tacoma
2007 - 2008 FJ Cruiser and Yaris
Hi

I used your programming instructions for the remote key for my Toyota Sienna and it worked well, but I just programmed one key. When I tried to program an other key later, I might have made a mistake, but instead of 2 lock/unlock sequences it gave me five, not thinking I continued the procedure. However when I open the door and tried the key it didn't work neither did the other keys. Is it possible I got into prohibition mode and that now any wierless door control? If so how do I get out of prohibition mode?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a search for this and could not find any reference to it. This information came from a Toyota TSB dated November 9, 2007 (TSB#EL009-07) I just added a remote to my 07 FJ and can confirm this information is accurate.

Begin With;
- Driver's door open and unlocked
- Key out of ignition
1. Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch 2 times within 5 seconds

NOTE: Steps 2 and 3 should be performed within 40 seconds

2. Close and open the driver's door TWICE.

3. Insert the key into the ignition and remove it.

NOTE: Steps 4-6 should be performed within 40 seconds

4. Close and open the driver's door TWICE

5. Insert the key into the ingnition

6. Close the door

7. Turn the ignition switch from "LOCK" to "ON" and back to "LOCK" at about 1 second intervals to select the desired mode from the list below:
- 1 time for ADD mode
- 2 times for REWRITE mode
- 3 times for CONFIRMATION mode
- 5 times for PROHIBITION mode

8. Remove the key from the ignition

9. To confirm your mode selection, the power locks will now cycle "lock" to "unlock" a number of times corresponding to your key cycles in step 7.

NOTE: If CONFIRMATION or PROHIBITION modes have been selected, opening the door will complete the procedure.

10. For ADD or REWRITE modes, do the following within 40 seconds of Door Lock confirmation;
A - Press both transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons simulataneously between 1 and 1.5 seconds and release. (I had to do this a few times because I held the buttons down longer than the 1-1.5 seconds)
B - Within 3 seconds of step A, press the transmitter LOCK button from more than 1 second and release.
> If the transmitter has been successfully programmed, the power locks will cycle "lock" to "unlock" once at this time.
> If there are problems with the transmitter or the procedure up to this point, the locks will cycle twice. If this occurs, verify that you have received the correct transmitter, and then repeat the above procedure.
C - If multiple remotes are to be reprgrammed, repeat steps A and B

11. Open to driver's door to conclude programming mode

12. If you make an error during the programming mode, turn the ignition key to "ON" and back to "LOCK" to erase entered steps.

Good luck and ping me if you have any questions or issues. This procedure works for all 2007 and 2008 FJs as well as the following;

2000 - 2005 Celica
2001 - 2003 Prius
2001 - 2005 ECHO
2001 - 2007 Highlander
2001 - 2008 RAV4
2002 - 2006 Camry
2003 - 2008 Avalon, Corolla and Matrix
2004 - 2008 Sienna and Solara
2005 - 2008 Tacoma
2007 - 2008 FJ Cruiser and Yaris
I bought a used 2005 Toyota Highlander, and your instructions work! Thank you
Now do you know how to program it to automatically lock all doors when turned on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife's 2007 RAV4 remote keyfob cracked...the plastic case is in bad shape and we lost the other remote a long time ago. I've been repairing it with JB Weld for 2-3 years.

I bought a used RAV4 key off of eBay and a new blank, to put the remote "guts" in. The hardware store guy who cut the key blank did a crappy job and it won't open the door, but it will turn the ignition. I was able to program the remote so that the doors can be opened & locked, but the key will not start the car. It turns in the ignition, the engine turns over, but it appears to be in security mode and it won't start. Any idea how to fix this? Is there electronic security on the door that's keeping the key from turning, or is it just because of the poor key cutting?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have toyota corolla 2008 and I tried your described method very carefully several times but my car dose not go into programming mode ? lock dose not cycle back on and off automatically like u have described. any help will be appreciated Thanks my email: [email protected]

·
Registered
322 Posts
I do not know if anyone will ever read to the end, but here is hoping someone else is as persistent as I.

I follow the instruction to the letter. No dice. Just to see I tried one more time. Followed the instruction to the letter again. This time instead of pressing both buttons at the same time then pressing the lock button. I pressed both buttons at the same time then I pressed the unlock button instead. My key-fob is now working. Go figure.

·
Registered
100 Posts
FWIW..... you can remove the immobilizer chip from the key and just superglue it to the ignition cylinder. I did this on numerous cars where I wanted a remote start or extra keys without the hassle. If you are paranoid about the car being stolen with a screw driver, 1) nobody knows the chip is there and 2) you can wire up a starter kill if you dont have an aftermarket alarm.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Important thing to know. If you have an immobilizer , this won't program it. You need the Techstream to do this ( at least i think it won't ) this will only program the lock-unlock buttons on the remote. Maybe the immobilizer programming is the prohibition part ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just purchased a FJ and it came with 2 valet keys. I emailed the Toyota customer service reps to find out if keyless entry was equipped on my FJ and it was! I purchased a $17 keyless entry remote from Amazon and followed these instructions and it worked perfectly! Thank you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just bought an 07 FJ in January that only came with one key fob. Bought a replacement off of eBay, and have tried using other instruction sets found on the Web without any success.

This set however did the trick! The "key" here was the multiple key turns to the rewrite mode. Once I did that, the new remote programmed correctly. One other note, if you use the rewrite mode, you'll want to reprogram BOTH of your remotes, as it appeared to have changed the code so that my original remote no longer worked. I had to go back through the steps and rewrite both of them.
Thanks for the great info!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 47 Posts