Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a tough time deciding between the tried and true Cobra 75 WXST and the hand held Midland 75-822.

The both appear to have similar specs and positive reviews. (spec sheet Midland 75-822, Cobra 75 WXST). The Cobra is predesigned to allow you to disconnect the CB for storage. The Midland is portable but provides a car adapter so it can connected to an external antenna. I wanted the best of both worlds, so I designed my own disconnect solution for the Midland.

Of course, I started with the Bandi Mount, and assembling the antenna. This is backwards from what I should have done. I should have started from inside the cab and worked by way back to the antenna assembly.

I ran the Coax cable under the black bumper and along the drivers side frame. I used tie wraps to help secure it into place. Then over and up through the rubber gumit into the center console. Be sure this line is tight cause you don't want the cable to get caught in the driveline.

The center console is very easy to remove. Just remove the tab under the E-Brake and unscrew the shift knobs. Then with just a little tug the center console just snaps out.

The next step was to decide where to place the external antenna connector. I drilled a 1/2 hole and used a file to enlarged it to the a snug fit. I mounted the Double UHF (PL259) Female Connector in the hole and and used the provided nuts to secure it. Since the connector is Female on both sides, you need a 3ft RG58 Coax Cable to connect to the Midland 75-822 car adapter.

I tie wrapped the extra cable together. I ran the 1/8 to 1/8 plug from the Aux IN thru the CB cable coil to the speak out plug on the CB.

The system appears to work great. I used it on our last NWFJCC event and It sounded great both sending and receiving. I am not sure what kind of range it has. I have received a clear signal from as far as 5 miles away. I still want to test the transmit range both in the car and handheld. I don't expect much from the hand held, but I thought it might be nice for spotting.

Parts:
1 x Midland 75822 - Handheld CB Radio with Vehicle Adapter
1 x Bandi Mount
1 x Firestik K4R FireRing Stud Mount
1 x Firestik Firefly 4 Foot Flexable Antenna
1 x Firestik - SS3M - Stainless Steel Spring
1 x Firestik - MU8R18 - 2-Piece 18ft "EZ-Install" Single Coax
1 x Firestik - K1A - Internal Locking Quick Disconnect
1 x UG363 Double UHF (PL259) Female Connector
1 x HS803PL - 3ft RG58 Coax Cable with PL-259 Connectors
1 x 6-Ft. Shielded Cable, 1/8" Plug to 1/8" Plug

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Thanks for the effort and thread. I'm interested to see how it performs as a portable hand-held unit. I'm specifically drawn to this unit when I venture out hiking and mountain biking to have the weather bands.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have this unit and just ordered parts to do something like this...
Question...How did you mount the handset to the dash?
My unit has a belt clip on it and not sure how to attach an easy way to take it off & on the dash.
Thanks
Lance

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
The unit works very well. I decided to do a different install which is extremely clean, will be taking pics and posting up later this week.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
The unit works very well. I decided to do a different install which is extremely clean, will be taking pics and posting up later this week.
Nice avatar Terry! My gauge is on "E".

Yes, my install is much "cleaner" looking as well. I ran my coax up under the bumper and immediately into the cabin thru the trailer harness grommet. Then thru the bottle jack compartment on the driver side. And under the driver side door sill, in the existing wiring chase. I then crossed under the driver seat flooring and up into the center console. You will need a snake to do this part or very small hands. I have the latter, although a few scratched knuckles from doing it.

This left me with enough coax to run up behind the switch panel in front of the shifters. I installed another 12v outlet out of sight back there and plugged everything in behind the dash. The dual cable pops out between my center dash plastic on the passenger side next to my glove box. I keep the Midland in the glove box and the coiled dual cable looks like "body jewelry" connecting my glove box to my center dash panel. Pics coming soon.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I ordered the midland 75822 lastnight and should have it in a couple of days. The rest of the antenna items will have to wait for a bit.

I recommend the HD spring instead of the Med spring. I got the medium and my 3ft Firestik flops all over the place. Walcott.com is now recommending the HD spring with their BigBill package, whereas before they were recommending the medium.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I like Terahex install but am also interested in what other did. When are you guys going to post some pics. The midland by itself (not connected to a antenna) is useless.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like Terahex install but am also interested in what other did. When are you guys going to post some pics. The midland by itself (not connected to a antenna) is useless.

I have been meaning to test the Midland as a hand held. I don't expect much from it. I will count myself lucky if I get a quarter mile. It would be mainly used for spotting.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I recommend the HD spring instead of the Med spring. I got the medium and my 3ft Firestik flops all over the place. Walcott.com is now recommending the HD spring with their BigBill package, whereas before they were recommending the medium.
Yeah, I'm placing an order for the antenna stuff tomorrow. Did anyone adjust(shorten) the cable length to not have several extra feet coiled to create an RF choke? Yes, I'm ordering several PL259 connectors as well and it looks like walcott has the 9' available and is currently out of the 18'. I'm also looking for several connectors for my GPS install: RG174 to BNC, MCX straight and 90 degree, a BNC coupler and a 12v outlet. I'm going to install them into the glovebox as quick disconnects and have a them removable and replaceable if they break.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have been meaning to test the Midland as a hand held. I don't expect much from it. I will count myself lucky if I get a quarter mile. It would be mainly used for spotting.
Right now, all I can get is channel 3 weather band. I have all the parts you listed (thanks a bunch) on their way. I got a feeling I will be waiting on the Bandi mount which I had to order from all pro as Walcott was back ordered. I have never used a CB but it sure looks like it could come in handy when on the trail.

One reason I bought the Midland was for the same reasons as you, you can use it as a hand held too.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've been looking at this unit as well. The installations though is holding me back. How is the performance as a handheld?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts