Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 tt
I'm looking at replacing my hu along with speakers. I've talk with crutchfield and here is what they recommend.

kenwood kdc-x998

infinity primus pr6500cs

infinity reference x ref-075tx rears

trying to do budget minded upgrade and will add amp and replace sub later

all above come with connectors, wiring interface and everything else needed for install.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
well did they tell you with component speakers you need a sub? (and really you need a amp to make them sound good)(with full range speakers 6x9s in the doors and 3.5 or tweeters in the dash you don't necessarily need a sub) back speakers will not help the system,less expensive head-units in a single din are out there(Alpine and Clarion) for that price Alpine is making a great double din, Alpine CDE-W265BT

Alpine CDE-W265BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

who the hell helped you at Crutchfield? and do you want better suggestions?

·
Registered
222 Posts
2010 tt
I'm looking at replacing my hu along with speakers. I've talk with crutchfield and here is what they recommend.

kenwood kdc-x998

infinity primus pr6500cs

infinity reference x ref-075tx rears

trying to do budget minded upgrade and will add amp and replace sub later

all above come with connectors, wiring interface and everything else needed for install.
Do a search or look in the stereo section a bit. Lots of good info on here.

You DONT want to put just tweeters in the rear. You can fit a 3.5" or 4" back there, it just won't mount up like stock. Honestly though, those are the least important part of the whole thing. I'd spend some more money up front before I bothered replacing the rears.

For the front doors, you can do a 6X9 or 6.5". Either one will require an adapter bracket to fit properly. I think the components are a good choice as you can put the tweeters a little higher up for better imaging. They have pretty decent efficiency so you might be fine off the head unit for power initially, but you will be better off getting an amp for them eventually.

Also, as Zoso said, there are a lot of other headunits out there that are cheaper that will do the job if you aren't looking for anything fancy. Also, there are a lot of other units in THAT price range that might be better options.

What all are you looking for exactly?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Rather not say who helped me at Crutchfield, I asked for help through online chat and thats what he suggested.

I want to change out the HU along with the front, dash and possibly rear speakers. I have to do this in stages so I'll not be swapping the factory sub or adding an amp till later.

As far as what I'm looking for I want clean sound nothing to crazy.

HU can be single din due to recent purchase of a gps that mounted above RM, basic bluetooth.
single cd is fine, I mostly stream spotify, iheart so hu as to be able to do that.

really open for suggestions.

I've read countless posts here and all I end up getting is confused

thanks for replies

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
when your doing a mid end system you get a lot more bang for your buck just sticking with full range speakers being component speakers can be tricky to set-up correctly , and as said you really don't need to rear speakers with a good front stage system if you want to save the money or hear what it sounds like without new rear speakers first you could alway add them , a couple head-units

Alpine CDE-154BT 169.00

Alpine CDE-154BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Clarion CZ305 129.00

Clarion CZ305 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

speakers 6x9s front doors, take your pic/price point

6x9 speakers at Crutchfield.com

these are nice too for the money

Amazon.com: Infinity Reference 9633cf 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High Performance 3-Way Loudspeaker (Pair): Car Electronics

you can go tweeters in the dash or 3.5 speakers either or

3.5 speakers at Crutchfield.com

tweeters at Crutchfield.com

if you did aftermarket headunit with 6x9s and speakers in the dash and a little Alpine power pack amp the system would knock your socks off and as i said you wouldn't necessarily need a sub

alpine power pack at Crutchfield.com

with a single din headunit you will need a dash kit also, usally when you buy the head-

unit from Crutchfield the dah kit is free

Scosche TA-2074B Dash Kit Fits select 2007-up Toyota FJ Cruiser vehicles ? single-DIN radios at Crutchfield.com

info to look over and consider

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158N5000BT/Sony-MEX-N5000BT.html?tp=5684
And these
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641DS674/Kicker-41DSC674.html?tp=105

No change to the dash speakers yet, but that's coming soon. Also I have a 12" sub in a custom enclosure in the back. LOVE my setup. Spend more on your HU than you think you should. I've found it to make a bigger change in sound for the price than higher end speakers - one thing improves sound quality on all speakers. Install was easy, and I regret nothing about any of it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
you don't have to spend a fortune on a head-unit to have good sound the preout voltage is whats important (4 or 5 volt preouts) and good signal to noise ratio(READ THE SPECS!!), units that are 120.00 sound as good as the ones for 1500.00 its the bells and whistles your paying for

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Clarion CZ305
CD receiver

Infinity Reference 9633cf 6 x 9-Inch 300-Watt High Performance 3-Way Loudspeaker

Infinity Reference 3002CFX 3-1/2" Two Way Car LoudSpeakers

Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack
Compact upgrade for any car radio — 45 watts RMS X 4

thoughts on adding this to start, I will leave the factory sub and rear speakers. I will replace them later.

I can spend little more on the hu if needed.

as long as i can stream spotify and play cds i'm happy

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
I left you a PM also , I like the JL audio best(far better) if your looking to cut the budget the Infinitly the will do fine , that Clarion head unit is killer for the money 5 volt preouts ! Bluetooth and (((SiriusXM))) Radio

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Hey I made a mistake on that clarion head unit it has 2 volt preouts and no sub preout , so I would go with the Alpine I listed instead , there was a Clarion unit that has 5 volt preout with sub preout let me try and fine it

·
Registered
2 Posts
You guys should check out OEM Audio + on YouTube. they have a complete package with new speakers, a sub, two amps, wiring, plugs, instructions, etc for about $1,500. It is called the Reference 400. I pulled the trigger and WOWEEE!!!

Check em out.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Yeah don't get me started on that Oem Plus sh!t lol , for the money you can build a much better system , anyway we have it worked out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts