Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Just bought a used 2008 FJ today and I am looking to replace the stereo/display ASAP. Additionally, I need to install a backup camera. I have been clicking around online and cannot for the life of me pinpoint how to tell if a stereo is compatible. Am I looking for Double Din? What should I be looking for? Additionally, I need to install a backup cam and make sure that whatever display I buy is also compatible. HALP ME! Please and thank you :)

- Ali

· Registered
70 Posts
alpine ilx-w650 7". Look it up. I have it and love it.Also, if you have the factory sub, you will need a KTA-200M to retain control of the sub. You won't regret the choice.

Also, do you have the bluetooth steering wheel controls for the stereo and phone? If not, I can point you to what you need to add those to your vehicle.

· Registered
2012 FJC 6spd Manual
135 Posts
I went with a Pioneer NEX 7600 and a Pioneer camera.

See post:

· Registered
36 Posts
alpine ilx-w650 7". Look it up. I have it and love it.Also, if you have the factory sub, you will need a KTA-200M to retain control of the sub. You won't regret the choice.

Also, do you have the bluetooth steering wheel controls for the stereo and phone? If not, I can point you to what you need to add those to your vehicle.
Working on changing mine out on an 07. I have factory sub but not steering wheel controls. I would appreciate if you can let us know what is needed to add those. Thanks, Mike

· Registered
21 Posts
@greeneyedblackcat Another option I read about and have chosen to go with is the ATOTO A6 Pro. Just arrived today and going to install tomorrow night…I’ll let you know how that goes if you’re not in a rush.

Ran the back up camera (came Separately) this weekend. Couple overview picks of the route…happy to share more if you have questions.

Automotive tire Light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

· Registered
54 Posts
I opted for a Garmin Overlander + WiFi backup camera. It doesn't play music, but it is a back-up camera solution and works nicely on-road and on-trail.

Reactions: loup407

· Premium Member
921 Posts
I installed a Kenwood that was backup camera compatible, but I never got it to work seamlessly with my backup camera.
I have a Garmin Overlander that I mostly use as a rear view camera when pulling a trailer...I may have to get a second wireless camera and start using the Overlander in my FJ. I don't know why I never thought of that before!
I opted for a Garmin Overlander + WiFi backup camera. It doesn't play music, but it is a back-up camera solution and works nicely on-road and on-trail.

· Registered
109 Posts
I went with the Pioneer 7600 with camera bundle. I think it cost about $500 on sale. Replacing an older Pioneer head unit, because I wanted a clearer camera, as well as CarPlay. It’s a pretty good unit and the CarPlay work well enough. There are times where it get glitchy and doesn’t connect until I stop and restart the vehicle.

The first backup cam, I had mounted it to the top of the receiver. It worked, but left something to be desired. So with this one, I printed a bracket for the camera and mounted it with 3M VHB tape, to one of the unused lug holes in the spare. Visibility is greatly improved with the higher mount. If you have access to or know someone with a printer, I’d be happy to send my design. It’s printed out of plastic, but I’ve had no problem with it, for several years now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.