Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so Saturday I got my 2008 Sandstorm, and have rapidly spent myself into oblivion (Metaltech front and rear bumper with a winch, two sets of PIAA lights, a Bajarack utility rack, etc). I ordered the parts for the stereo tonight (Kenwood DNX6960, Infiniti 6030cs for the doors, an amplified Bazooka for the rear). Since i have to run power and RCA back to the sub, I was panning on running some big power wires and grounds from the battery to the back into a power block. I search for some power inverter solutions, but would like to put an inverter back there and run it off that wire (with a relay of course).

Has anyone done anything like that, short of just putting a couple of sealed posts back there behind a panel to hook an external inverter to? other ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edit: To be more clear (it's late and I've had my head in scripts all night), I would like to install an inverter and put a switch in the main panel under the radio. I've seen the external ones with goofy remotes, but has anyone found, installed, and made a remote switch for the main panel? I'm thinking around 1000W. Also, do you have to get a bigger alternator? I like the idea of getting the second battery under the hood.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
You plan on putting a microwave back there? Sounds like a good plan. I've done similar things with my work truck, but not the FJ.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't really know, my daughter is getting old enough that we can start doing extended camping (my wife and I used to do alot of backcountry hiking, but with the kid, I prefer to keep a vehicle handy). You never know what you might need, but it seems like the price point for a 1000W converter is in the sweet spot (why pay $60 for 400W when I can get 1000 for 90 right?).

I've found a few more threads, but nothing regarding what I am trying to do. Worst case I can just put it in the back and manually flick it on or off as needed, but having a switch is so much handier. I just don't want to have the FJ where there's 20 different switches all over, I like to keep things uniform and clean, all buttons and switches in the same place, etc (the OCD in me). I will keep looking, would be nice to find a big 1-1.5k inverter with a separate lead for on/off that I can finagle into one of the toyota push-buttons or a nice looking rocker.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Many people here have installed after market inverters. Do a Google search on "fj cruiser power inverter".

I am going to get a dual battery. We are trying to get a group buy. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...y-kit-group-buy-round-2-a-12.html#post1810681

I will then install an inverter, running it off the "extra" battery. Now I will have a reason to buy an ARB fridge. It shouldn't be hard to install an on/off switch.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HAHA If I do a google search, this is the third or fourth thread in the search heh.

I did find a good option, and as I thought about it, it's actually gonna be a good way to go for me. I found the Xantrex PROWatt remote, which looks small and easily mountable on a flat surface. On top of that, it can be tied to the ignition lockout so I can choose to have it turn off once the car is off if I want. I will use this on the Xantrex PROWatt SW 1000. I do a lot of outdoor wireless testing in the middle of nowhere and often need to power my equipment (which is kind of expensive), so this will be a smart investment to make sure I keep my equipment in good working order.

This is the kind of remote I was looking for though, will be perfect and easy to install anywhere I want.

Power Inverter, Pure Sine Wave Inverter, Marine Inverter, PROwatt SW
PROwatt Remote Panel

Edit: Also it looks like the fan is temp controlled and not just running when the inverter is running. That is what sold it for me

·
Registered
947 Posts
You can easily hook up an OEM switch to supply power to an RF remote transmitter. The receiver would wire into the inverter power lead. So when you push the button in on the dash, it sends a signal to the power inverter to turn on. If the OEM switch is latching, you will need a 12V remote with 12V receiver, single channel, momentary. It doesnt work very good through metal, but inside the FJ (pretty much all plastic) should work ok. Obviously not as robust/cheap as a single wire to relay, but still an inexpensive and fun project to try.

12V MOMENTARY REMOTE CONTROL 0V OUTPUT SWITCH RP11 - eBay (item 400182255065 end time Jan-18-11 12:22:57 PST)

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ducky, that's pretty cool. Unfortunately I tend to loose things *alot* so Fobs are out ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
vixx. let me know how it goes with the 110v plug in back. sounds like what i want to do but three toyota dealers here wont even touch the idea. I have a 2008 FJ and would like to add the plug or 12v in back. Us too, do alot of camping and the power plug would be handy. Also what kind of PIAA fogs lights did you get? I was looking at I think 5291's. Going to check with car place this weekend that does wiring.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered all the wiring for the stereo and am putting in an amplified bazooka tube and was gonna have to run power cable to the back. I started thinking about just running 1/0 to a distroblock in the back. So I am gonna run 1/0 from the engine bay to the back driver area (I plan on putting a second battery under the hood). From there, one branch will go to the sub amp, and I will pull another 1/0 line around the rear end to the other side of the cargo area and I bought a Xantrax 1000W Inverter with remote. I will mount the inverter remote on or in the center console somewhere so I can flip turn it on or off from the driver's seat, and it has an accessory option so I can have it so that it turns off when the car is off. So while it won't be recessed, I will still have it in the back. I may also build an enclosure for it and mount it over the cargo hump on the passenger side. Not sure. But like you I found that no dealer or shop will touch putting in an inverter like that, and honestly I will need more than 400W anyway. I will be posing it in my build thread once I start, but I don't have any gear yet and won't be home for another week and a half heh.

Look up Xantrax PROWatt 1000W and the accessory remote.

EDIT: on the lights, I'm in the Group Buy for the Metaltech front bumper, but from them am going to also order a rear bumper, and I added two sets of PIAAs to the order (at that point, why not, right?). One set is the 5291 Fog Lights, the other is the 5293 Driving Lights. I figured one set of each :)

·
Registered
672 Posts
did u ever go with the install????

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm hoping to start it all this week. I've been out of the country for the last couple weeks...

·
Registered
672 Posts
oooooo no problem, id like to know ur process

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will be taking lots of pictures and will be updating my build page as I go, but I will try to make sure I get the inverter-specific bits posted here, or at least re-visit with a link to the build page. In essence, I'm ripping out seats, panels, etc and trying to do ALL the electrical first, but I need to mount the new front and rear bumpers first so I can get the front fog/driving lights and rear camera mounted.

Am not looking forward to the ripping out part.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts