Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a jensen 9424 dvd/nav player and my stereo now sounds horrible...is the stereo worse then the stock fjammer???or do I need a amp or new speakers?

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
The stock speakers are pretty bad... I do have a question for you... How did you connect the speakers? Do you know what speaker setup you have... IE Door, dash, roof, rear pillar and sub?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 2 on the dash , 2 in the doors , and 2 on the rear pillars...plus the sub ...im gonna put the fjammer back in for now bc it sounds so much better

·
Registered
334 Posts
More than likely the Jensen unit is not able to handle the low ohm set-up of the FJ system. Re-wiring or replacing the speakers will help, depending on what you wish to do.

FJ Ohm Ratings

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
You need a HD amp because the OHM load will be different and the HD amps give power between 2 and 8 ohm equally. JL makes the best amp in my opinion. 900x5 will rock your FJ but better speakers will be required to handle the power. Your jensen was probably fighting the stock sub amp signal if you used a harness.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
Read the link that Catman posted. You can either follow the 9 speaker FJ system using two amps or you could go with a single five channel amp. I actually followed the post exactly and went with two amps a 4 channel for fronts and rears and 1 channel amp for the sub. Also, replaced all speakers including doing the stock sub box mod. Running a Jenson VM9022 HU and it sounds pretty good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have the 9 speaker set up and when i ordered my stereo i clicked on 6 speaker ...do u think i will need to order a different wiring harness for the stereo ? if u have a sub woofer then u have the 9 speaker set up right?

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The doors, front speakers, and transducers in the roof are hooked to the front to channels. The subwoofer and rear pillar speakers are hooked to the back.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Correction...the roof transducers, sub, and rear pillars are hooked to the back two channels. Yes, you have the 9 speaker setup but I don't think it will matter on the harness.

·
Registered
627 Posts
The doors, front speakers, and transducers in the roof are hooked to the front two channels. The subwoofer and rear pillar speakers are hooked to the back.
In the six speaker 2011 (like mine), the vibrating exciter headliner vibrator crummy thingies are on the rear channel and apparently the rear pillar wires are not connected. See the thread here:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...illar-speaker-cable-exist-but-not-driven.html

You may need a different wiring harness if you have a 2011.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I replaced my FJammer with the Pioneer AVH-4200 DVD. Initially, I was not impressed with the sound at all (specially the subwoofer). Since that time, I replaced the sub and gave it it's own amp. This allowed me to tweak the other speakers without distorting them. That made a huge difference!

·
Registered
627 Posts
well darn i was hoping that was the reason for the horrible quality of the jensen
Have you considered changing the factory speakers? I looked at the "premium" JBL system at the dealer yesterday, and the speakers just made me sad. Here is my current setup in my 2011:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...trical/122575-2011-audio-mod.html#post1836246

Do whatever it takes to kill the vibrating headliner "exciter" thingies. My dealer offered to drop the headliner and disconnect them for me, but I just cut the wires in the driver's side A pillar instead.

Also, even on the "premium" FJ audio system I saw at the dealer yesterday, the rear speakers were crummy 2-1/2 inch "tweeters" (if you could call them that). They would need to be replaced too I think. The Rockford Fosgate 3-1/2's I put in my dash will fit in the rear pillars, with some effort. I think it is important to use identical front and rear speakers where possible, but if you want an easier replacement in the rear, Bazooka makes a custom speaker just for the rear pillars in the FJ.

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
627 Posts
I have seen a few posts now where people complain about "worse" sound after installing an aftermarket audio system (head end unit or speakers or both).

The most common suggestions are: 1) The speakers are wired out of phase, and 2) The aftermarket speakers "need" more power from an amplifier, and 3) The stock FJ unit does not put out enough power to get reasonable sound at a reasonable volume.

Regarding #1, yes, this problem could exist, but it is unlikely if you pay attention while you are working, especially if you use aftermarket wiring harnesses to minimize the chance of a wire reversing error.

Regarding #2, um, no. The new speakers may be capable of accepting more power but do they not "need" it unless they are less efficient. Read the specs for the speaker before buying. 88 db efficiency = needs lots of power while 91 db efficiency needs not so much.

Regarding #3, see #2 regarding efficiency. In addition, I think another issue when the head end unit is replaced may be the loss of the FJ head end unit's built in automatic loudness compensation. Can anyone confirm for certain that the FJ stock head end unit does use built in loudness compensation? If so, is there any known way to turn it off? (I have a 2011 FJ). A local car audio shop told me the head end unit does use loudness compensation. I also found this in an old post here:

"It also has auto adjusting loudness control. This is the worst feature known to man for audio people."

For those of you who don't know what loudness compensation is, it is a "feature" where the head end unit automatically turns up the low frequencies to "compensate" for the human ear's reduced perception of low frequencies at low volumes. The lower the volume, the more bass the head end unit adds, trying to keep you feeling like you are hearing the same amount of bass relative to higher frequencies regardless of volume. Nice in theory, not so nice in practice. So, if you have become accustomed to hearing plenty of bass at low volumes, and you put in a head end unit without auto loudness (or loudness you can turn on or off), then you are not going to hear as much bass at lower volumes.

Unfortunately, in my 2011, it sounds like there may be an auto loudness circuit that shuts down at about 40 on the volume control. Unfortunately, the number 40 also represents the point at which most CD's start to overwhelm the FJ head unit and it starts to clip. Gee, did Toyota REALLY build and install a head end unit that uses loudness compensation all the way up to clipping? At this point, nothing would surprise me - plastic frame dual cone 6x9's with magnets the size of quarters in the doors, horrible 2-1/2" "tweeters" that don't tweet at all in the dash and in the rear pillars even with the "upgraded" audio package, and vibrating headliner "exciters" that sound like what they are - vibrating fiber board. Ugh.

Again, can anyone here confirm if the FJ stock head units employ automatic loudness control and, if so, if there is any way to disable it?

-FJ Florida-

·
Registered
538 Posts
Gee, did Toyota REALLY build and install a head end unit that uses loudness compensation all the way up to clipping?
To be fair, if I remember correctly for 2011 the base head unit is a Pioneer while the upgrade is JBL.

Also, clipping depends on program content, so for example, a CD recorded fairly softly will be fine playing at volume 40; a highly compressed rock CD may throw the system into clipping at 15.

See page 17:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...een-2010-2011-fj-2011-fj-new-car-features.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
So my SC makes the stereo louder? My Corvette has the loudness feature my 09 FJ with fjammer does NOT!! Or at least its not the same as the vette

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently changed out my OEM for the Sony XAV-60. Used the factory harness with a scoshe aftermarket harness connector.
Problem: No instrument panel lights.
HELP!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts