Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the STI is getting up there in mileage and I'm thinking about trading her in on a FJ.

Ive never owned anything truck like and have no idea if I would even like it long term. I liked the couple of test drives ive had but i am still on the fence. Finding '11 in a manual is proving to be difficult however.

Reason for the change would be that I am a avid scuba diver and during the most of the year my team and I are camping and diving the mine pits in upper MN. The subbie fills this role and Im able to pack everything in but I think the FJ would fit this role even better.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I went from an STI to an FJC this time round and its been great. My last FJC I came from an Audi S4 Wagon... Both Cars were Manuals, both FJC were Autos.

If I could afford it I would love to have both. Make sure you drive the FJC in a manual. Coming from the STI you will not like it. I hated the FJC manual. There is nothing crisp and quick about it like your STI is. You will be disappointed. I ended up getting the auto because of that very reason and I think that the Auto suits the truck so much better. Just like the Manual suits the STI better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went from an STI to an FJC this time round and its been great. My last FJC I came from an Audi S4 Wagon... Both Cars were Manuals, both FJC were Autos.

If I could afford it I would love to have both. Make sure you drive the FJC in a manual. Coming from the STI you will not like it. I hated the FJC manual. There is nothing crisp and quick about it like your STI is. You will be disappointed. I ended up getting the auto because of that very reason and I think that the Auto suits the truck so much better. Just like the Manual suits the STI better.
Ive driven a manual and found it to be ok. I would order mine with the TRD short shifter to improve it a bit. I used to own a s2000 so any other manual is a downgrade lol. All of my 12 cars have been manuals. One of the main reasons for the FJ besides quality and off road and snow capability is that its offered in a manual.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
WELCOME!:wave:

·
Forum Detective
2,273 Posts
I would order mine with the TRD short shifter to improve it a bit.
IMO, the short shift kit is a requirement for the 6MT. It was literally the first or second mod I did. The throw is very long and clumsy with the factory shifter, and the short shift kit makes all the difference. When I first drove my FJ (drove it after I bought it, is there any other way?) I thought I had made a mistake, but after the addition of the short shift kit I am glad I got the 6MT. I have the TRD one, but have heard good things about the URD and the URD one is cheaper.

Also welcome to the forum :wave:

·
Registered
264 Posts
We had a wrx for along time. We loved it. I went from a wrx to a tundra and then to an FJ. It's a real good mix between the two

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Hello & Welcome!

·
Premium Member
16,794 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome... lots of good stuff here to help you out