Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all, my stubby antenna broke off with the threading seated inside so I now have to install a completely new mount if I want to use it.

As opposed to doing that, I want to remove the antenna mount entirely and cover up the hole.

I have not used the stock antenna for anything in over 3 years so I just want it gone this point.

My questions are this -

1. Has anyone else done this, and if so, what did you use to plug up the hole caused by the missing antenna and rubber ornament base?

2. Does anyone recommend not doing this overall and if so why?

I did search the forums and could not find a post that addressed this, if there is one I apologize and would appreciate it if you sent it my way.

Cheers and thanks!

Jeremy

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I had a stubby, but as I stated it broke off with the thread inside the mount.

I do not at this point want to install anything else though, just remove it entirely.

Thanks for this though, I may look into it if complete removal is more of a pain in the arse in the end.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oddly enough...I was thinking about replacing the radio antenna with my CB antenna.
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind as well, but I decided to stick with hand held radios as they are easier to use on the trail either spotting, or talking to a spotter.

Still on the table though.

·
Registered
468 Posts
page AV-105 has details on removing the radio antenna holder.

This post by NestahEdition has some info on access to radio antenna holder bolts

·
Admin
7,222 Posts
Here is a quick little video to replace the rubber (not a total answer to the question, but still a decent little video)

Reactions: Hannibal

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is a quick little video to replace the rubber (not a total answer to the question, but still a decent little video)
I appreciate it, I don't want to replace it at all if I don't have to, I don't need it and it's not useable in it's current state.
If I can remove it in its entirety and plug it, that's the route I'd like to go.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i like the "old fashioned" look of the stock antenna. plus it doubles as a height guide when venturing into those questionable low clearance garages. if you are running stock suspension, stock rack, and stock sized tires, then the antenna is about an inch higher then the highest point of your fj. at 6 feet, six and 3/4" height, most low garages in ca are 6 foot 7 inches. my antenna will slightly scrape on some low close call areas, but as long as i don't see it start to really bend back, then i know i'm clear.

·
Registered
2007 FJ Cruiser 4WD
65 Posts
i like the "old fashioned" look of the stock antenna. plus it doubles as a height guide when venturing into those questionable low clearance garages. if you are running stock suspension, stock rack, and stock sized tires, then the antenna is about an inch higher then the highest point of your fj. at 6 feet, six and 3/4" height, most low garages in ca are 6 foot 7 inches. my antenna will slightly scrape on some low close call areas, but as long as i don't see it start to really bend back, then i know i'm clear.
I was considering replacing the stock antenna with a stubby but after reading your post I may not. I've got a 3" lift and a roof rack plus slightly taller tires. Just barely makes it into the garage at home.
20200620_151555.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
page AV-105 has details on removing the radio antenna holder.

This post by NestahEdition has some info on access to radio antenna holder bolts
Thanks for this detailed spec .pdf, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was considering replacing the stock antenna with a stubby but after reading your post I may not. I've got a 3" lift and a roof rack plus slightly taller tires. Just barely makes it into the garage at home.
View attachment 1132664
Yeah, again, if I thought on any level that it would do me any good I would keep it, I had a stubby antenna for 4 years with no issue, then I went to replace the cowl clips on both sides and the damn thing broke, so now here we are.

I think I just need to find some sort of rubber plug and cap it off.

I appreciate it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can't you drill the broken threaded portion and use an extractor to remove it, then just put a barbed fastener in it? Or do you not like look of the mount?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I removed mine ten years ago, as I never listen to FM radio. Simply found a black, round headed screw that fit and have never looked back. I like the cleaner look without the antenna and don’t even notice the mount anymore.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I removed mine ten years ago, as I never listen to FM radio. Simply found a black, round headed screw that fit and have never looked back. I like the cleaner look without the antenna and don’t even notice the mount anymore.
Sweet, thank you, this is the route I am headed at this point!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts