Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hope this is in the right spot. If not Mods please move it. Thank you

My driver's side directionals started blinking fast the other day. Checked both bulbs and they still light up.

Anyone have any suggestions? Other side works fine as do all lights when I put the hazards on.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Try putting you parking lights on and recheck the signal operation. I have seen the filament break and make contact with the other filament and cause different problems. This will only affect the front on the FJ.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Poor ground/connection

·
Registered
114 Posts
So I hope this is in the right spot. If not Mods please move it. Thank you

My driver's side directionals started blinking fast the other day. Checked both bulbs and they still light up.

Anyone have any suggestions? Other side works fine as do all lights when I put the hazards on.
My FJ did the same thing, right after I plugged (and unplugged) my trailer... I took the lamps out of the offending side, and sprayed a touch of electric contact cleaner on the contacts of bulb and socket. Problem went away instantly.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks folks I'll change the bulbs tomorrow. Its late and im beathe, anyone want to help with what bulb they are?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
2010 TTSE. Right turn signals are rapid. All bulbs work, and most are new. Front hazards alternate when headlights are on, but are in synch when lights are off. Hazards are not fast. Driving home from the body shop - they had it for 2 months having hail damage repaired - was told some lights were out. Got home & found both rear brake lights out, & passenger front turn signal out. Replaced passenger front & rear turn signal bulbs & no change. Socket contacts all looked good, but cleaned anyway. Suggestions & smart alec responses appreciated.

9/26/19 Update.....

This was the culprit. The old one looks, feels & acts, just like the new one. Until you put a bulb in it and power to it. I love this forum, and appreciate the responses. Sometimes others get you to think in another direction. My blinker fluid was bad too, so I'm told, but I supposedly got a smokin' deal on the refill at Walmart.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
clip - clip Front hazards alternate when headlights are on, but are in synch when lights are off. - Driving home from the body shop - they had it for 2 months having hail damage repaired clip -
I can't add anything more than the earlier posts. The front hazards alternate? Like a wigwam railroad signal? That is strange. Don't know the connection between the headlights and the hazard/turn signals. Any aftermarket lights/wiring?

Have you asked the body shop about the issues? Suspicious. Where was the body work done? Top and hood or other areas also?

For our members, does the wiring to the rear go through the overhead? I wouldn't suspect so.

Waiting to see other recommendations and what the resolution is. I've only seen lamp, socket and/or wiring issues.

Good luck,

·
A-Team Moderator
8,165 Posts
Maybe someone installed a Tap a Turn Wig Wag/3 fast flashes turn signal relay for you to be experiencing such behavior? If the shop turned the key on & off too much or too fast, it'll throw the relay into master reset mode. If I remember correctly, right signal on and then hit the Hazard button, the signals go into Wig Wag mode. Search Tap a Turn on here.

I had my FJ at a 4x4 shop and they inadvertently set it into master reset and we had no signals at all. I didn't have time to mess with resetting it. I had left the stock relay in place and simply reached up under the dash, unplugged the TaT and plugged it into the OEM relay and voila'. Everything worked as it should.

The rear wiring harness runs under the sill plates.

Smart aleck response, Did you check the fuses? :thinkerg: >:D

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
You may want to check with the body shop and find out if the did anything with the lights or their wiring. The alternating signals with the lights on sounds like a ground issue or one of the bulb filament is touching as mentioned above. Look for pinched, broken, or rubbed through insulation on the front light wires.

·
Registered
155 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,849 Posts
Just saw the title of the thread and it reminded me of what was happening to me this past winter. Though the bulb wasn't burned out, if it was cold and I turned on my blinker it would hyperflash for a while until the bulb had warmed up a bit and then it seemed to stop. I just replaced the bulb since I heard if it is doing that then it is about to go out anyways. Sure enough my blinker went back to normal and no more hyperflash!

So if you are having fast blinking and the bulb hasn't burned out yet, just replace it. It is only a matter of time till it does! And hopefully that corrects the issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts