Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
here is some info that will help.
Yep, these instructions will tell you all you need to know (and then some).

I picked up a used Brushguard as well, and found these install instructions to be a little confusing/intimidating. Let me tell you from experience, this thing is a piece of cake to install.....shouldn't take you more than 30 min.

You don't need the template. The holes come pre-drilled through the metal bumper from the factory, however you do have to drill through the plastic that covers the bumper. What I did was place the brushguard on the bumper and set into position. I then took a Sharpie marker and marked the bumper cover with two dots where the two tabs with holes are on the bottom of the brushguard. Take the brushguard off and drill where you marked it and, bingo, you will see that the drill goes straight through because, like I said, there are already holes in the metal bumper.

The install instructions say that you need to use "bumper support brackets" on the bottom (where you drilled the holes). You don't need these support brackets, I used some heavy duty washers and they worked fine (if you have these brackets, then use them, of course).

HOWEVER, you will need the "upper radiator support brackets". Hopefully, whoever you bought this from sent you all the hardware. You can get any missing bolts/nuts/washers from the hardware store.......but you can't install this without the upper radiator brackets. If you don't have them, try to contact your seller and see if you can get them. Otherwise you will have to buy the OEM Brushguard hardware install pack from Toyota which runs around $150!!:cowfrown::cowfrown::cowfrown:

Good Luck, and PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just purchased an 07. It came with an OEM brush guard, not installed.
I have the mounting brackets.
Do any of you have mounting instructions or would be willing to photograph your installed guard.
Attached is a photo of an FJ with the same guard.

Many thanks!
Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
130 Posts
Drill template needs to be printed on the correct size paper. Make sure you print the 8.5 x 11 version that is in that thread!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, these instructions will tell you all you need to know (and then some).

I picked up a used Brushguard as well, and found these install instructions to be a little confusing/intimidating. Let me tell you from experience, this thing is a piece of cake to install.....shouldn't take you more than 30 min.

You don't need the template. The holes come pre-drilled through the metal bumper from the factory, however you do have to drill through the plastic that covers the bumper. What I did was place the brushguard on the bumper and set into position. I then took a Sharpie marker and marked the bumper cover with two dots where the two tabs with holes are on the bottom of the brushguard. Take the brushguard off and drill where you marked it and, bingo, you will see that the drill goes straight through because, like I said, there are already holes in the metal bumper.

The install instructions say that you need to use "bumper support brackets" on the bottom (where you drilled the holes). You don't need these support brackets, I used some heavy duty washers and they worked fine (if you have these brackets, then use them, of course).

HOWEVER, you will need the "upper radiator support brackets". Hopefully, whoever you bought this from sent you all the hardware. You can get any missing bolts/nuts/washers from the hardware store.......but you can't install this without the upper radiator brackets. If you don't have them, try to contact your seller and see if you can get them. Otherwise you will have to buy the OEM Brushguard hardware install pack from Toyota which runs around $150!!:cowfrown::cowfrown::cowfrown:

Good Luck, and PM me if you have any other questions.
I think at one time this guard was installed or the previous owner purchased a used one but never installed. It shows wear and the brackets are dirty.

·
17,845 Posts
Threads merged, check dates of posts. Hover/click on usernames to see when they last time they were on here.

Please do NOT post to one thread, then turn around and start another one regarding the same thing.

Thanks

Reactions: Gus031758!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts