Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m putting together a spreadsheet for everyone on the CAI for the FJ. I just bought the Scan Gauge II. I plan on installing the SG, then monitor existing stock performance using Fuel Rate, Manifold Pressure, Tachometer, Intake Air Temp. Then I’m going to buy the TRD CAI and use the same type of performance data. I’m going to use the same gas station, Mobile One fuel, run the test with different types of Octane, same mileage, same speed, etc. I’m going to try to make the testing as clinical as possible. I will be documenting the figures into a spreadsheet. I will then post my results. I do have the TRD exhaust though, it came with the TRD; everything else is stock. If anyone wants me to monitor certain information, let me know. Would anyone be interested in this information? I looked around on the forum, but I found what is provided by the Mfg. Is it just me that is interested in this data?

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I’m putting together a spreadsheet for everyone on the CAI for the FJ. I just bought the Scan Gauge II. I plan on installing the SG, then monitor existing stock performance using Fuel Rate, Manifold Pressure, Tachometer, Intake Air Temp. Then I’m going to buy the TRD CAI and use the same type of performance data. I’m going to use the same gas station, Mobile One fuel, run the test with different types of Octane, same mileage, same speed, etc. I’m going to try to make the testing as clinical as possible. I will be documenting the figures into a spreadsheet. I will then post my results. I do have the TRD exhaust though, it came with the TRD; everything else is stock. If anyone wants me to monitor certain information, let me know. Would anyone be interested in this information? I looked around on the forum, but I found what is provided by the Mfg. Is it just me that is interested in this data?
I would be interested in your results. I would buy the CAI if I gained some MPG. I also have the TRD Exhaust. I running low on FJ funds and I would hate to buy the CAI and find out all it does is make noise.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I think that you would find great interest in your data, me being one of them. There has been great anectdotal information but no what I would call "hard" data.

You would exhibit great patience in doing such data collection. For me, to be as complete as possible, you would have to do the data collection with 89, 91 and 93 octane. And, you would have to run the tank nearly dry before changing octane to satisfy the skeptics. Then, install the TRD CAI and repeat. Its a big job but I would be very grateful in know the "truth" behind the advantages. If I only had access to a dyno (and the funds to pay for multiple passes), I would take this on also.

Good luck and have fun with your research...

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm interested in what your results will be..

however..no matter how hard you try to conduct the experiments the same way..there will always be variables that you really aren't going to be able to control..so the results might not be the same for everyone.

it will still be interesting and appreciated to see what you can do, goodluck.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that you would find great interest in your data, me being one of them. There has been great anectdotal information but no what I would call "hard" data.

You would exhibit great patience in doing such data collection. For me, to be as complete as possible, you would have to do the data collection with 89, 91 and 93 octane. And, you would have to run the tank nearly dry before changing octane to satisfy the skeptics. Then, install the TRD CAI and repeat. Its a big job but I would be very grateful in know the "truth" behind the advantages. If I only had access to a dyno (and the funds to pay for multiple passes), I would take this on also.

Good luck and have fun with your research...
I agree, It's going to be time consuming, but I would like some hard data on what the actual gain in performance is. As I stated, I will be doing it with the different grades, 87, 89, 93 Octane. There is a lot of Forum members that have the CAI installed on their FJ’s, but I have yet to see any data on the gains. I have seen statements saying that is sounds throatier and better response, but I myself, would like to see exactly what the difference is. :lookaround:

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
I just hope you know (actually, I know you do know) that no matter how hard you try, there will be skepticism on the results regardless which way they point. Either way, kudos for taking it all on, along with future replies to your results...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you for being willing to do this. There will always be skeptics and there are always variables when it comes to doing such tests. Kind of like where I work, each robot has a different name and temperment to match, I can only assume it is the same with trucks.
Nevertheless, I would like to see the cold hard data to see if the CAI is worth the money or if the throatier sound just gives a placebo affect for the driver.

·
Banned
424 Posts
The only reason I would not get a CAI is if it voided my warranty (I'm pretty sure it dosen't so I'll be ordering one on Saturday). My father has had CAI's put on his previous cars (BMWS, Nissan 350z's, Mercedes) and they all give a little extra MPG, and a nice smoother sound with a little hint of "mean" in it. I can't see the FJ Cruiser's CAI not making a difference, when all the other CAI's that I've seen have made a difference....but, this could be the twilight zone, right now a gremlin could be chewing through my computers power cables....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Go for it!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I would love to see this info! I would suggest just using the recommended high octane and let others find answers themselves with other quality gas.

I still haven't used anything except high octane.

I can't wait to see the results! Sounds like great info!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts