Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought an '07 FJ and I want to see what off-roading is all about. I had a 2000 MR2 Spyder before and loved taking it to the limits through the twisties but I have no Off-Road experience whatsoever.

I live near the Pine Barrens in NJ and want to take my bone stock FJ out there and putt around. What kind of things should I avoid doing with my stock FJ? how capable is my stock FJ?

EDIT: I did some searching and found a lot of useful information on this subject. If any people that wheel in the south jersey area want to give me some tips that'd be great. I just want to get my feet wet a little and see what it's all about. Not looking to do any pinstriping or river fording just yet.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I would talk to Joeisip, hes the NJ go to guy if I'm correct.

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
If you're not thinking of doing hardcore rock crawling, your stock FJ is capable of doing everything if you go at it slowly. Stocks have done Moab trails with modified without any problems. It's a very good machine "right out of the box"

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don't go alone...as in, without another capable vehicle to assist, etc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am running my stock FJ around the california deserts and the sierras with no problems. Just took it up the Diablo Drop-Off at Anza Borrego that is marked as difficult by the guides (and not recommended for stock SUVs) and it did not even breathe hard (although I did). Just take it slow and I think you will find that the truck can do more than you dare for a while.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the FJ to a place called Menantico today. It's very popular for offroading although a search on here found nothing, JKOwners.com has some info on it.

I stayed on an old dirt road looking for the entrance to the place until I found a steep narrow hill that went up then straight back down the other side. It took me a few tries but I made it up and over and it was a blast! The other side of the hill took my to a really light sand and I made some deep ruts before I made my way back over. A tree limb took a little gash out of the vinyl on the front window sill!

My maneuvering today was probably something most off roaders could do with their eyes closed but it was such an adrenaline rush to me! looking forward to doing more in the near future!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts