Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can give me some suggestions on how to troubleshoot a "mute" speaker. Honestly, I have not done much to my FJ but did a fair amount of audio upgrades to my old tacoma. The problem is as follows... When I am listening to music on my Ipod through the "audio" port the right speakers do not work. If i turn the fade all the way to the right there is very low audio which sounds like it is coming from the rear. When I have it switched to the right front speaker it is mute. The left speakers work fine. I have the stock system that came with the 97 TRD Special edition (w/o sub). This problem was noticed just a couple days ago when I wondered if i was going deaf in the right ear... :lol:

Thank you for any info that could help solve this in a semi straight-forward manner.

Adam

·
Registered
202 Posts
If you look at your cable (headphone jack type) it should have 2 black bands on the tip. If it only has one its just a mono cable. (like the top one on the pic below)

Do you have another cable to try?

It also could have gone bad, setup error, or unplugged in the back?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might sound too easy, but do you have another cable? if you look at your cable (headphone jack type) it should have 2 black bands on the tip. If it only has one its just a mono cable.
It also could have gone bad, or unplugged in the back?
Thanks for the suggestion. I noticed fm works fine and cable is plugged in... Buying new cable now.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Also might be a good idea to check your ipod's headphone jack can go out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I just noticed this myself yesterday and thought I needed either a new head unit, speakers or both. My jack did have both rings, I unplugged my ipod and used my iphone and it worked fine. Then I plugged in the ipod again and now that is working too. Great tip thanks for sharing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts