Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lifted my rig with OME and it's settled more than I wanted up front. I'm trying to compare my height by searching this forum, but can't seem to find any before and after lift measurements.

Anyone out there have any before and after measurements with any lift?

It's best to measure from the bottom of your wheel to the underside of the fender, and then to report your wheel diameter. I found some measurements from the ground to the underside of the fender, but those values are too variable due to tire inflation, tire type, etc.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Here is a thread where a dedicated member went through the measurements before tires, suspension and both, starting with stock. For the record, I don't see any "sagging" or "settling" with my OME kit. Only difference was once I added the Demello bumper w/Warn M8000 and it has stayed the same since day one.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here is a thread where a dedicated member went through the measurements before tires, suspension and both, starting with stock. For the record, I don't see any "sagging" or "settling" with my OME kit. Only difference was once I added the Demello bumper w/Warn M8000 and it has stayed the same since day one.

Hope this helps...
Thanks for the link. That guy measured just about everything but what's really important. I can't find where he measured from the bottom of the wheel to the underside of the fender, which is the best way to compare heights from rig to rig.

Here's my current measurements, from lower wheel (closest to the ground) to the underside of the fender:

Left Front = 31"
Right Front - 31.4"

Left Rear = 32.8"
Right Rear = 33"

That's with the OME heavy setup. The average height difference between my front and rear is about 1.7" My inclinometer is a few degrees nose down. I want to make it level, and would like 3" of lift up front.

How long have you had your lift (i.e. have you crawled over a lot of rocks and up/down very steep trails)? Your front might settle after awhile. I've had mine on for about 11K miles. Maybe I've settled more than you because my ARB bumper and Warn 9000 is heavier than your setup.

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Thanks for the link. That guy measured just about everything but what's really important. I can't find where he measured from the bottom of the wheel to the underside of the fender, which is the best way to compare heights from rig to rig.

Here's my current measurements, from lower wheel (closest to the ground) to the underside of the fender:

Left Front = 31"
Right Front - 31.4"

Left Rear = 32.8"
Right Rear = 33"

That's with the OME heavy setup. The average height difference between my front and rear is about 1.7" My inclinometer is a few degrees nose down. I want to make it level, and would like 3" of lift up front.

How long have you had your lift (i.e. have you crawled over a lot of rocks and up/down very steep trails)? Your front might settle after awhile. I've had mine on for about 11K miles. Maybe I've settled more than you because my ARB bumper and Warn 9000 is heavier than your setup.
I don't know that I agree with your assessment of the "whats important measurement". In my eyes, whats important is creating ground clearance and room for articulation. Knowing the relative change from stock to post-lift is what is important in my eyes. Regardless...

Yes, I have wheeled mine quite a bit, over what most consider to be "most difficult" trails (see these pic thread 1 and thread 2 as an example) with 10k miles on it after lift installed, 9k after bumper/winch installed. Measured mine with the measurement you are looking for and came up with:

Front (L) - 30.5", (R) - 31"
Rear (L) - 32.75", (R) - 33"

These were done in the dark just to give you my reference points and my gas tank is pretty empty and I have 16" wheels which would make a difference also. As you can see in my sig, I run the "med" OME springs with Demello bumper/Warn M8k winch.

When I compare points on the thread I provided, I'm running just under a 3" lift from most reference points. I'm very happy with the way my OME kit performs and the ride quality. Sorry to hear that you aren't happy with yours...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mtbcoach.

What I meant by "most important" is just what can be best compared to rig to rig. It's the one measurement that won't be affected by tire size, tire pressure, etc. I'm not talking about ground clearance or anything, just how the rigs compare.

Sounds like on average your back end is about 2.125 inches higher than your front. Your back/front difference is sitting about 0.5 inches higher than my setup.

I wonder how our rigs compare to stock. I'm kicking myself for not taking before-lift measurements. Maybe one of our TLCA subchapter club members with a stock FJC will show at tomorrow's monthly meeting and I can grab some measurements.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy with the way my rig rides with OME. I just want it to be a little more level, and a little more clearance in the front would be nice. Just trying to figure out how to improve the setup. I have an email out about Toytec's aluminum spacer, which they are using with OME suspension. I'm not interested in switching out to coilovers. I want to keep what I have already installed. Toytec makes a 0.75 inch spacer, which might just do the trick. That spacer in the front and more weight in the back (from an ARB back bumper and heavier spare tire) might just level me out.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Since I am sick at home and the truck is in the garage I took some measurements for you. Using the method you described.

My truck is bone stock with the 17" alloys and Dunlop tires, half tank of gas. Garage is at a very slight slope exiting the garage door, truck is nose first.

RF 29 1/4"
RR 31 3/8"
LF 28 7/8"
LR 30 3/4"

Hope that helps.

Oh yea, I am not really that sick, I'm going to be cleaning, prepping, and painting my new AP sliders today. As well as hanging a whole house full of new curtain rods for the wife.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I am sick at home and the truck is in the garage I took some measurements for you. Using the method you described.

My truck is bone stock with the 17" alloys and Dunlop tires, half tank of gas. Garage is at a very slight slope exiting the garage door, truck is nose first.

RF 29 1/4"
RR 31 3/8"
LF 28 7/8"
LR 30 3/4"

Hope that helps.

Oh yea, I am not really that sick, I'm going to be cleaning, prepping, and painting my new AP sliders today. As well as hanging a whole house full of new curtain rods for the wife.
Thanks for the measurements!!!

If I compare your measurements to mine, it sounds like I basically have a 2 inch lift front and back.

Hope you feel better. Congrats on the AP sliders. Mine have paid for themselves a few times over!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
technically, the best way to measure lift change without factoring tire size at all, would be to measure from the center of the hub, to the fender lip. your method doesnt account for tire wear (which can be alot surprisingly)

You're right. That's why you leave the tire out of the equation. Just measure to the bottom of the wheel.

I hear you about the center of the hub. But the trouble with that is the center is sometimes hard to find, especially with different center caps. The bottom of the wheel is an easy line to find.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So it sounds like I have a 2 inch lift up front, and if I use the Toytec 0.75 inch top spacer I would almost have a 3 inch lift up there, which would make me almost level.

Here's an email I got from tech support today:

"Our top plate spacers have been used with all of the OME coils. The spacer does not change the ride at all.

The 886 is however a larger/longer coil and with the extended length of the shock, coil spring to upper control arm contact can occur because of too much down travel when used with the top plate spacers. You could add limit straps and adjust them to limit before the spring contact…We had one customer do this with success, but we do not have any pictures or details."

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
So it sounds like I have a 2 inch lift up front, and if I use the Toytec 0.75 inch top spacer I would almost have a 3 inch lift up there, which would make me almost level.

Here's an email I got from tech support today:

"Our top plate spacers have been used with all of the OME coils. The spacer does not change the ride at all.

The 886 is however a larger/longer coil and with the extended length of the shock, coil spring to upper control arm contact can occur because of too much down travel when used with the top plate spacers. You could add limit straps and adjust them to limit before the spring contact…We had one customer do this with success, but we do not have any pictures or details."
That doesnt sound good when they tell you that you might need limiting straps.

Cya

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That doesnt sound good when they tell you that you might need limiting straps.

Cya

Ya but I think that is just with the longer 886 springs. I think they recommend the 885 springs so that you won't have that problem. I've got another email out to tech support to see what they suggest would be best. If I'm going to make a change, I want it to be right.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Ya but I think that is just with the longer 886 springs. I think they recommend the 885 springs so that you won't have that problem. I've got another email out to tech support to see what they suggest would be best. If I'm going to make a change, I want it to be right.
I agree with you. It has to be right or catastrify could follow.

Cya

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got this email today:

"Really no other options with the weight you have up front other than coilovers. The Light Racing or Donahoes (same) have a heavy coil that will hold the weight and the lift is adjustable. The 885 with our top plate spacer would be the same front lift ( I think) as you have now… may be less after settling."

Looks like if I didn't have the ARB bumper and winch up front I could use the OME 885/N140S and the top spacer to get 3" of lift. That would level the FJC. But I'm not letting go of my winch, so I have to do something else.

Guess I have to decide to stay at 2" up front and nose down, or to switch to coilovers. I guess another option would be to go with Revtek. I've been told that the FJ Trailteams are using that lift along with the ARB bumper and winch.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK I'm totally mellowing out about my suspension for now. I finally got some really good advice and have decided to leave my front end alone. I will live with the 2" of lift. It's not bad after all. An extra inch clearance would be nice but not a deal breaker. I got some good mechanical advice about lifting the FJC more than 2.5", including possible problems with the upper control arms, problems with the down travel - toping out the strut controller, etc. I'm going to finish getting all of my weight in the back to see if it settles out. Changing that angle is really what I need to do. If the extra weight doesn't do the trick, then I'll change the back to a softer coil. So bottom line, will work with the back and not the front. I was thinking about the whole thing from the wrong side.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thanks for the measurements!!!

If I compare your measurements to mine, it sounds like I basically have a 2 inch lift front and back.

Hope you feel better. Congrats on the AP sliders. Mine have paid for themselves a few times over!!
No problem...

I never did get around to hanging the wifey's curtains, I told her I was too sick. The Sens v Ducks game was on too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.