Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I installed my TRD CAI about a month ago and now have a big box of parts from a pretty much brand new OEM intake. What have people done with their old intakes? Are they worth keeping around? Just seems to take up a lot of space.

<===apartment dweller

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Funny you mention that. I recently threw away the stock air intake parts from my 05 Rubicon; I had kept them for three years thinking I might use them. Over the weekend I was in my mom's garage looking around and lo and behold, there was the stock air intake from my 03 Rubicon hahahahaha.. six years old.. 99% odds you'll never use/need them... unless you throw them away.. LOL.. Ron

Edit... the 03 was stolen in 05 and never seen again.. The 05 was traded for the FJ in January

Well, I installed my TRD CAI about a month ago and now have a big box of parts from a pretty much brand new OEM intake. What have people done with their old intakes? Are they worth keeping around? Just seems to take up a lot of space.

<===apartment dweller

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ron is correct. You will never need the old parts until the day you throw them away. I'm sure that it would be exceedingly expensive to replace that assembly. Stow the parts somewhere if you have the room. You never know, you may want to restore it to OEM for some reason in the future. If I threw mine away, the following day my CAI would be deemed illegal and there would be a huge fine for anyone caught on the road with one. That's just the way it seems to go sometimes. Probably a felony with mandatory jail time too.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Exactly.. That's what always seems to happen to me. I'm doing something different (for me) with the FJ. I'm leaving the intake and exhaust stock.. I'm not even going to change the shocks, until they go the way of all stock shocks (buffalo).. LOL... Ron

PS: I have replaced the headlights with PIAA's, but saved the factory ones.. we never seem to learn

Ron is correct. You will never need the old parts until the day you throw them away. I'm sure that it would be exceedingly expensive to replace that assembly. Stow the parts somewhere if you have the room. You never know, you may want to restore it to OEM for some reason in the future. If I threw mine away, the following day my CAI would be deemed illegal and there would be a huge fine for anyone caught on the road with one. That's just the way it seems to go sometimes. Probably a felony with mandatory jail time too.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I made a huge bong out of it.
just kiddin, I kept mine for when I get the emissions inspection as the CAI is not CARB rated so it's technically illegal for use in an on road vehicle and if they want to be jerks about it you could be fined 100's of dollars in CA and some other states. Probably all of them in the next 10 years or so.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Now that is funny.. The cyclone would help to pack it in... cough.. cough.. LOL... Ron

I made a huge bong out of it.
just kiddin, I kept mine for when I get the emissions inspection as the CAI is not CARB rated so it's technically illegal for use in an on road vehicle and if they want to be jerks about it you could be fined 100's of dollars in CA and some other states. Probably all of them in the next 10 years or so.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha thanks for the input guys, guess I'll hang onto it , maybe try and fit it a little better in the box to save some room. Although that bong idea does sound interesting....

·
Registered
393 Posts
The bong conversion is an interesting application. I guess one should remove that carbon filter thingy inside it to improve the mileage. I remember building a sort of supercharged water pipe fitted with an aquarium pump long ago.

I've thought that if I ever remove the OEM roof rack, I would bolt it upside down to the kitchen ceiling and hand pots and pans from it.

Never underestimate the creativity of us FJ owners! Definitely a breed apart!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I will be changing out Headers soon if any of you would like to make a 3 bowled bong out of them.........hah hah hah hah

1 - 13 of 13 Posts