Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a silver 2007 fj auto 4wd with stock wheels, shocks, engine, etc. would this handle medium intensity trails?

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
These things are way more capable stock than they look. Mud, deep water , rocks, snow, hill climbs. I`ve done it all and the truck made it feel easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Common sense and good judgment can get you a long ways.

Stock FJs are very capable.I have taken my wife's bone stock FJ a lot of places I probably shouldn't have but,I have a lot of wheeling experience :lol:

My biggest problem is remembering not to drive her FJ like I drive my FJ.

Her FJ,

My FJ :rofl: ,

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a silver 2007 fj auto 4wd with stock wheels, shocks, engine, etc. would this handle medium intensity trails?
I'm still a newbie to wheeling and I have been thinking about the same question.

The stock rig is actually quite capable and well-balanced, but it may need some basic off-road protections, such as, doing a scuba mod before driving into water, or getting rock rails, skid plates and beefier rear lower links before engaging hard obstacles. Otherwise major repairs/recoveries are likely to cost more.

In some rare cases, the stock FJ might actually have advantages off-road. For example:
  • The stock FJ may have a lower center of gravity compared to lifted rigs.
  • The stock FJ has less weight.
  • The stock gear ratio works better with the stock (smaller) tire size, which provides more wheel torque, less stress on axles and a slower pace for climbing.
I once saw an impressive youtube video of a stock FJ wheeling up Hells Gate (I believe it was MissFJ on this forum). Now I think about it again, the stock FJ might actually be a great configuration for that kind of wheeling: stay low & crawl slow.

A stock FJ is probably no match for rigs with 35"+ tires in many situations. However, the FJ Cruiser may not be a wise choice in the first place if larger tire sizes are considered.

A stock FJ obviously does not come with a winch, but there is always a choice between having a winch and the weight saving of a bumper, winch and battery.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i would stick with the jeep/jeep invented it/those toyotas are nice looking/put a dress on it/something pink.
My kid has an 08 wrangler that has had all kinds of problems on and off road. My 07 FJ hasn`t had any problems so maybe stick a dress on the jeep or better yet sell and get something capable. We have both in our family so that coming from the guy that has to fix the jeep..Me.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I own both the Jeep and FJ they are both very capable stock or modified. Bigger better tires and a lift better on rocks and higher clearance for deep mud.

I 4x4 every week or at least three weekends a month and when it snows I take my FJ every time, Its a great vehicle in the snow and I feel its much safer and has better stability than my Jeep but that can be the tires and size of my jeep. My Point is they both are great for what their set up to do if I added a 6"lift and 35" tires to my FJ I know it could go everywhere my jeep does. My FJ has twice the HP my Jeep does.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My brother owns a 2007 silver stock FJ, and it keeps up with mine just fine. I upgraded my TRD and gave him all my stock TRD suspension, but he was totally fine stock. Just depends on the driver. Only real problems you'll have is with ground clearance and traction if you're running the stock tires. Might want to invest in a leveling kit to bring that front end up just a bit, and a good set of tires (AT or MT), those will go a long way!! Here's a pic of us side by side.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think the main weaknesses are:

1) Lack of points to attach a jack.
2) Tires are poor for mud or snow.
3) Undercarriage is vulnerable to damage.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
it will handle most you put in front of it:bigthumb:

·
fka BLACK HAWK
2,811 Posts
buy some skid plates and see how far you can go, never wheel alone

1 - 20 of 27 Posts