Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Cyclosarin, I often read mags from Australia and it looks like an amazing place. Seeing all the offroad trailers you guys have is making me really want one too. Havent gotten down there yet but definitely will. I will look for that strap up here.
Cheers

It's called an Equaliser Strap. Basically a short snatch strap. You then take a full length snatch strap and loop it through the equaliser strap (you end up with an 'X' or a 'Y' shape between the vehicles).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah, think i will go with the receiver hitch set up in the rear. Thanks for the input.

The rear hookup point is bolted to the frame with two bolts. Is it strong enough to handle the load of pulling, probably. I wouldn't trust it though, and the loops are a bit on the small side which doesn't help.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Where would you suggest mounting a D ring for a recovery point on the back or front? Would use it in conjunction with the OEM points for added peace of mind.

Also... I am still a noob with DIY installs. What is a good hitch to put on the FJ? Does it require a lot of work? I have a 2010 and did not include the tow package when I bought it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Where would you suggest mounting a D ring for a recovery point on the back or front? Would use it in conjunction with the OEM points for added peace of mind.

Also... I am still a noob with DIY installs. What is a good hitch to put on the FJ? Does it require a lot of work? I have a 2010 and did not include the tow package when I bought it.
Any aftermarket receiver hitch is easy to install. The wiring for the trailer lights plug can be a pain though.....
Not sure what you are planning to tow but the oem hitch cannot be used with equalizer bars, something to consider because its not too late to buy an oem hitch. Lots more expensive but the wiring is more plug and play than an aftermarket alternative. I got my reese hitch from amazon and the wiring from jc whitney.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts

You can add the tow package (the hitch) which bolts to the frame for pretty cheap. Then just put something like shown above with a shackle in the receiver. Either that or have a custom shackle made that bolts in where the factory rear one goes, and maybe even have it welded. The two biggest issues I had for the factory hook points are 1) they have a small opening and that made it a PITA to put my strap through them. and B) they aren't removeable which could cause issues depending on what strap/how your going to pull on them.

·
Registered
643 Posts
The factory hitch is available as a not to difficult DIY add-on. The hitch and the wiring package are available separate or together as a kit depending on where you get it. The hitch is in the $150 ish range and the wiring harness is about $85. This site shows the install GEORGIA FJ CRUISER - Accessories and Upgrades - Factory Tow Hitch Install

These two docs show the toyota install instructions. I did my own installation and it was not difficult at all. Electrical is plug and play and the hitch is an easy bolt on project.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
So I see in the vid he is using d rings attached to the recovery points. Any reason he doesn't just hook up to the points with the strap?

I am trying to decide if a tow hitch is worth it just to pull/recover.
There's not really another good way to attach a strap since they are closed loops.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,233 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, I have read many peoples stipulations and "beliefs" but has anyone ever seen a factory recovery point fail? I don't plan on dozens of recoveries. Just the every now and then helping people in winter or mud.
I have seen an FJ being snatched and dragged that turned over onto its roof off a dune, using the standard rear factory recovery / tie-down point and then pulled over onto its wheels using the front recovery / tie-down point, without any further visual damage to the FJ.

In my opinion they are very strong! Will I use them in an emergency for a recovery? Yes I will.

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
I used my stock rear recovery points yesterday to get extracted from a mud hole. The only time I have ever seen one get damaged was when it gets smashed going up /or/ down a rock ledge.
That trailor-hitch set up is pretty cool.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts