Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Stock recovery points

32K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  FJ Cruiser Matt 
#1 ·
Not sure if I am posting in the right spot but have a quick Q. I have searched this forum among others, including down under and I can't seem to get consensus on stock recovery points. Does anyone know, 100%, if the stock recovery points on a 2011 FJ (front and rear) are suitable for snatch straps, winching....? Appreciate any info as that time a year (winter) is coming around.
Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
Yes, i have been violently snatched out of awful places on many occassions without any damage to the recovery points.

I was high centered with no wheels touching in a puddle and taking in water, took about 20 good yanks from a taco to get me out (he was essentially pulled dead weight).

Another time i was high centered in a puddle and i bent my friends chevy frame when he tried to pull me out.

Edit: another time i was also high centered(notice a pattern) and got winched out by a jeep, but was so stuck that he winched himself closer. So another jeep had to pull him while winching me, no damage done to the recovery points then either

#5 ·
I think i would be hard to come up with a stronger mount than the factory hold-downs. On many passenger cars those mounts are only there to strap the car to the deck of the ship on the way over and are pretty puny. The ones on the fj are massive. If you are concerned you cold make a strap so you hook into both eyes at the same time.

#8 ·
Good to know hobojon. I actually saw in 4WD action from Australia a strap that did just that. Not sure if they were using a tree protector or a special strap though. I believe the factory manual mentions not using the points for recovery - Iread this on the forum but need to confirm it. They do look really solid though.

#6 ·
Thanks for the video Constantine. I have seen some others but I was hesitant to trust a lot of them.

#11 ·
Glad to help. The Trail Teams guys were hired by Toyota to promote the FJ by training new owners and demonstrating the FJs capabilities. People have differing opinions on the factory recovery points, but I would assume the TT guys advice has some merit and is worth considering.

#14 ·
No idea what the ratings are, but I've used the stock points many many times without issue. I actually prefer using the stock points to my bumper mounted ones in the front. In the rear, I prefer using my bumper mounted points (Exp One bumper) since I ditched the stock bumper/recovery hoop. When I had a stock bumper, I mostly used the hitch mounted thing that Layonnn mentioned.

#15 ·
Thanks FJess, wish I had the $$ for new front and rear bumpers. I'm thinking I will get a hitch-mounted set up for the rear. Do you know if I need a factory tow package or just slip it into the hitch as is? (don't you love how one Q just leads to another and another...?)

Thanks

#16 ·
If you have the factory (or aftermarket) receiver (the square hole), you should be good. It just slips in there and is secured with a pin. Not sure if that's what you're asking?

#17 ·
Yeah, it has the square hole. I guess that is the part I was referring to . Thanks alot.

Chris

#18 ·
My rear loop is solid because it is bolted over the top of the mounting bracket of a Reese receiver hitch. The brackets are 3/8" think and wrap around the frame. Not going anywhere.

#19 ·
Hobojon, when you say "My rear loop is solid because..." are you saying that because you have modded yours or are you referring to the factory points in the rear? If a mod, do you have pics? or a description of what you did?

#23 ·
Yeah, think i will go with the receiver hitch set up in the rear. Thanks for the input.

#25 ·
Where would you suggest mounting a D ring for a recovery point on the back or front? Would use it in conjunction with the OEM points for added peace of mind.

Also... I am still a noob with DIY installs. What is a good hitch to put on the FJ? Does it require a lot of work? I have a 2010 and did not include the tow package when I bought it.

#26 · (Edited)
Any aftermarket receiver hitch is easy to install. The wiring for the trailer lights plug can be a pain though.....
Not sure what you are planning to tow but the oem hitch cannot be used with equalizer bars, something to consider because its not too late to buy an oem hitch. Lots more expensive but the wiring is more plug and play than an aftermarket alternative. I got my reese hitch from amazon and the wiring from jc whitney.

#33 ·
I have seen an FJ being snatched and dragged that turned over onto its roof off a dune, using the standard rear factory recovery / tie-down point and then pulled over onto its wheels using the front recovery / tie-down point, without any further visual damage to the FJ.

In my opinion they are very strong! Will I use them in an emergency for a recovery? Yes I will.

#34 ·
I used my stock rear recovery points yesterday to get extracted from a mud hole. The only time I have ever seen one get damaged was when it gets smashed going up /or/ down a rock ledge.
That trailor-hitch set up is pretty cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.