Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've used the search feature and I'm simply not coming up with anything. Is there a roof-mounted bike rack system available to fit the stock FJ rack? I've been looking at the Yakima Forklift which says it "fits virtually all stock roof racks" but I can't tell if it will work with the FJ cross bars. I have the Thule T2 spare tire mount right now, but I don't like the way it makes contact with the bike's tubes, and it's near useless (to me) with more than one bike mounted. I'm frequently transporting very expensive carbon road bikes and really don't want them beat to hell on the T2. I do NOT have a trailer hitch either which is specifically why I want to get the bikes up on the roof. I have an 08' with the factory rack. Thanks for any help you can provide....

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
This doesn't answer the roof rack question but I would get a trailer hitch. To me putting bikes on the roof would be a pain plus with such expensive bikes, I would think they would have less chance of being damaged.

If you go the roof rack route, I would get a better roof rack. I don't know if I would trust the stock bars to hold up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Check out Rocky Mounts. I have a rack from them and it holds my road bike well. They have a system that fits OEM racks. I also have a Hollywood two bike rack for my hitch. Works great!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I used two yakima high roller racks with universal mighty mounts to attach them to the stock bars. I ran two very expensive mountain bikes multiple times a week for over a year with no issues. The high rollers don't touch the frame, only the tires and are lockable, so no scratches on carbon/paint. And the carbon bikes will be lighter and will put less strain on the factory rails.

I disagree with the hitch being a safer place...I'd hate to get rear ended with them on the back of the truck. and there are very few racks available for the hitch that don't touch the frame like the high rollers and other roof systems. In general, they are much more vulnerable on the back. Plus, if you have carbon road bikes, they are light and will be easy to put on the roof. I have a 3 inch lift and 33 inch tires so it's even harder to get them up there but I've never had a problem.

I have a picture or two if you'd like to see it.

edit: the high rollers don't require removing the front wheel and are very stable.
also, the might mounts should work with the fork lift rack as well. they run about $25- 30 for a set of 4. but be sure to check with the rack requirements because the high rollers needed 3 mounts each, while others only need two.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Are you needing to run with the rear seats up or can you run with them down? If you are running with them down then you can put two of them inside. I have a plate with a simple fork lock on it and I pull the front wheel and slide it in and lock it up and it will ride great. I travel with my road bike all over the west and have not had any issues and I am into my set up like $15.
Here is a link
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...502-bike-mount-rear-cargo-area-prototype.html

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
I had a roof rack fail on my Audi and ended up with my moutain bike bouncing off my windshield and across my hood swore from that day no more roof racks.

I take both wheels off and pack it all inside the vehicle.

I can't imagine trying to load a bike on the roof of the FJ.......and I'm 6'5".

·
Registered
596 Posts
I can't imagine trying to load a bike on the roof of the FJ.......and I'm 6'5".

My brother and I do it all the time with a lifted FJ. I'm 6'5" and he's 6'. We open both side doors and use the rail as a step. The first few times it's awkward, but after that, it becomes routine.

You can also load them with the rear door open if the parking situation doesn't allow enough room to load from the side. It's actually easier to put them on my FJ then on his stock 4runner.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am looking at the T2 for carrying my tri bike and a mountain bike. After looking at the custom one, it's pretty sweet. Not sure if both mine will fit side by dise but I may rig up something. I am doing a sprint tri this weekend and want to take my mtb to ride a trail on the way home so I need to fit both bikes.

·
Premium Member
13,453 Posts
My brother and I do it all the time with a lifted FJ. I'm 6'5" and he's 6'. We open both side doors and use the rail as a step. The first few times it's awkward, but after that, it becomes routine.

You can also load them with the rear door open if the parking situation doesn't allow enough room to load from the side. It's actually easier to put them on my FJ then on his stock 4runner.
Ahh....rails, do not have these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts